On 16 Jan 2014, at 04:02, Colin Geoffrey Hales wrote:

http://www.edge.org/response-detail/25377

Neil Gershenfeld
Physicist, Director, MIT's Center for Bits and Atoms; Author, FAB

Totally agree: He blames Turing and von Neumann

So do I.

He assumes both comp and weak materialism. In fact some digital physics. This has been shown many time here to not work at all. I can repeat the argument, but it is very easy from the UDA.
Physicalism is ready for retirement, if comp is true.

We stopped doing real empirical work on the inorganic brain 60 years ago. We failed for 60 years to make an inorganic brain.

Computer “Science” was never and never will be an empirical science at all. It is 100% the experimental exploration of theoretical models .... and has been generationally systemically confused with empirical science.

I think on the contrary that computer science gives a precise criteria how to use the empirical experimentation to refute precise theory of the mind.

You assume that an inorganic brain might one day function, but that would mean that comp, or string AI, is possible, and then I don't see how you could avoid the consequences.

Party’s over.

You talk here a bit like Edgar or other "knower of the Truth".

We are just searching, using theories (= hypothesis), as only them put light on how to interpret the experimental data.

Bruno

Cheers
Colin