Hi Stephen

> On 17 January 2014 09:33, Stephen Paul King <stephe...@provensecure.com>wrote:

The first part is right, but within a given foliation, there is an ordering
>> of events. It's only when comparing foliations that you get different
>> orders. (I believe this is called proper time or something?) Time doesn't
>> vanish within a foliation.
>>

> Right, it doesn't vanish within a foliation, but if we add or integrate
> them together it does. If i got the math right...

That's a surprise (to me at least). Foliations are just viewpoints, I
believe, and essentially arbitrary [added later - as you say below]. If you
summed all *possible* foliations, I'd expect you'd get space-time (assuming
the notion of summing them all makes sense...)

>>> Existence is a priori -eternal-, properties are a posteriori - after the
>>> fact of measurement.
>>>

>> Yes, this is the problem with the "ontological argument" (and probably
>> with "Edgar's first postulate" too).
>>

> I am trying to use avoid the problem by using a ontological foundation
> that is eternal, thus no absolute notions of "before" or "after". Neutral
> existence, having no particular properties by having ALL properties.

Or rather timeless? (Of course comp does that, with Platonia!) I agree this
is the sort of ontology we should look for, which is one reason I find comp
attractive even if I don't follow it all (but Bruno has promised to give
more lessons!)

Yes indeed. Hence "relativity" ! But space-time itself is (within SR) is
preferred (so to speak). That is, there is one block universe, within SR,
in which (I believe) each point can be uniquely labelled.