On 17 January 2014 12:07, LizR <lizj...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 17 January 2014 14:00, Stathis Papaioannou <stath...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> At least *weak* AI would be possible. Weak AI means computers could do
>> everything we do but without necessarily being conscious. Strong AI
>> means they would also be conscious.
> I checked the definition a short whle ago on Wikipedia .... which
> equivocates, imho, saying consciousness is "Associated with" strong AI, and
> that Weak AI is basically "making computers do clever things" (with no
> pretension to being like humans).
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strong_AI

Historically, AI researchers did not consider the question of whether
a computer that behaves intelligently was conscious, on the assumption
that intelligence was observable while consciousness was not and
therefore not a fit subject for scientists. This makes it a bit
confusing when terms such as strong AI/ weak AI are appropriated by
philosophers such as Searle.

Stathis Papaioannou