On 1/16/2014 4:55 PM, Stathis Papaioannou wrote:
On 13 January 2014 04:42, Telmo Menezes <te...@telmomenezes.com> wrote:

I'm a lump of dumb matter arranged in a special way and I am
conscious, so I don't see why another lump of dumb matter arranged in
a special way might not also be conscious. What is it about that idea
that you see as not only wrong, but ridiculous?
I'm sorry I repeat this answer so many times, but this claim is also
made so many times. The main problem I see with this idea is that no
progress has been made so far in explaining how a lump of matter
becomes conscious, as opposed to just being a zombie mechanically
performing complex behaviors. Insisting that such an explanation must
exist instead of entertaining other models of reality strikes me as a
form of mysticism.

It's speculation, just like Bruno's speculation that physics can be recovered from the UD and modal logic.

Brent

It may be a problem that I'm not producing a theory of consciousness
to your satisfaction, but which part of the claim I made do you
actually disagree with?