On Sun, Jan 19, 2014 at 01:58:43PM -0800, Edgar L. Owen wrote:
> Russell,
>
> I agree that your model here is "theoretical" and does NOT apply to the
> actual reality of decision making organisms such as humans. My comments DO
> apply to the real world.
>
> Rational agent theory properly applies to only extremely limited and
> non-representative cases in the real world. Specifically it applies to
> simple well definable games, checkers would be an example, with well
> defined 'best outcomes', and well defined rules that all rational agents
> are able to understand in the same way with no ambiguity. But the vast
> preponderance of decision making situations in the real world are not thus
> well defined and rational agent theory does not apply for the reasons I
> explained in my previous post.

Sure.

> Even in a well defined game situation it is quite possible to act
> rationally and NOT make the optimal move. E.g. in chess or Go it is
> impossible to know what a true optimal move is because optimal moves are
> not computable except in the far end game. Nevertheless an agent can act
> rationally by choosing the best move he can compute having a limited
> understanding of the game.

Such situations are handled by "bounded rationality theory". A
fully rational player in chess or go would have god-like computational prowess.

> We can understand this better by noting that an IRrational agent is NOT one
> that is unable to compute an optimal move from the knowledge he has (if he
> is a novice at Go he will simply be unable to compute the best move from
> complete knowledge of the board and the rules even IF he is rational). An
> IRrational agent CAN compute an optimal move but rather chooses a
> SUBoptimal move after computing an optimal move because he has some e.g.
> other agenda than winning... Or an IRrational agency computes with faulty
> logic. So there are two types of IRrational agent. All the other decision
> making is rational.....

Or computing the winning outcome takes too long, so it is better to
make some decision rather than none at all. Think Chess with a clock.

Or being predictable allows competitors to exploit you via arbitrage,
or whatever.

... and so on ...

Many more than two types of irrational agent.