On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 10:40:51PM -0600, Jason Resch wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 6:33 PM, Russell Standish
> <li...@hpcoders.com.au>wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 04:08:08PM -0800, Edgar L. Owen wrote:
> > > Russell,
> > >
> > > PS: On second thought maybe we don't agree completely. Though free will
> > is
> > > quantum random based (we agree on that), it doesn't mean that it is
> > > "irrational".
> > >
> > > If human actions and the actions of other biological organisms weren't
> > > basically rational they couldn't function or survive in the real actual
> > > world they live in....
> >
> > That is not true. Read up on the concept of Machiavellian
> > Intelligence. A modicum of irrationality is just what it takes to get
> > ahead in the world, it makes one less predictable to one's competitors.
> >

> But to be "effectively unpredictible", one doesn't need a truly random
> source, rather only a small number of bits that remain undisclosed to
> outsiders.

That is true, but the irrational/rational distinction doesn't lie in
the same place as deterministic/indeterministic.

Rational agents are entirely deterministic and predictable, but it is
certainly possible to get deterministic irrational agents, and even as
you argue, deterministic unpredictable agents.