On 01 Feb 2014, at 14:39, Edgar L. Owen wrote:

Bruno,

You have a very strange view of arithmetic if you think it "is full of processor cycles".

It is the standard understanding of computer science. That is understood (by the theoricians) since Gödel 1931 (symbolically, as some have seen this before, and some have made the point more transparent, and stronger later).

Can you explain how that works? It seems to imply an innate notion of time.

You need the ordering 0, s(0), s(s(0)), ... that you can derive from the first axioms:

0≠s(x)  (for all x)
x≠y -> s(x) ≠ s(y), (for all x, and y).

and

x + 0 = x   (for all x)
x + s(y) = s(x + y), (for all x, and y).

x < y van be defined by

Ez(y + z = x & (z ≠ 0))

This gives already a digital time which can be used to defined the step notion for the computations.

A computation is the sequence of steps of a universal machine when emulated by another universal machine.

As elementary arithmetic is Turing complete, we can take elementary arithmetic as the base system, and define computation in term of all the universal numbers that we can define in arithmetic (we get them all, by Church thesis).

It is long to define a universal numbers, and its computations, just in terms of 0, s, + and *, but that can be done, and is done in most textbook in theoretical computer science.

Note that I agree with this, it's my p-time, but block universe and your block comp seem to be lacking it...

I still don't know what is your p-time. I still don't know if it is 1p or 3p, mathematical or physical, etc.

PLease explain in PLAIN ENGLISH rather than your usual cryptic notations and (undefined in the context) terminology..

Just ask when you don't understand, but you seem to ignore what is a computation for a computer scientists.

You might read the original papers assembled by Martin Davis 1964. It exists in the Dover edition now. Or a good introductory book like the one by Neil Cutland. Or wait that I rexplain the real basic 5cantor and Kleene diagonal) which unlike logic, are rather simple, I think.

But a priori, computability has nothing to do with physics, or physical implementation of computer. A computation is an intensional relative (relational) number property.

Bruno

Edgar