Craig,

Well first I'm not so optimistic as you that some here don't harbor some
pretty ridiculous ideas including that there was no reality before humans.

Second, there is a view I present in my book that resolves both
perspectives. If we hold the view that everything is just computationally
interacting information at the fundamental level, then it is reasonable to
define any change in that information as a generic type of experience I
call Xperience.

In this model then, everything that happens is an Xperience, and every
information form can be considered a generic observer, whose computational
change amounts to an observation.

So in this sense we get observers from the very beginning and don't have to
wait for human observers to appear. I don't see how this wouldn't be
consistent with the Block and Bruno universes 1p views of observable
reality though I have no desire to explore that avenue....

Note that this model is also consistent with the transition from the old
erroneous view that human observation 'caused' wavefunction 'collapse' to
the modern view of decoherence, in which we can say that it is the
interactions of two particles themselves which supply the generic
'observation' of each other to produce some exact dimensional 'measurement'
in each other's frames.

Edgar