On Thursday, March 6, 2014 8:31:29 AM UTC, ghi...@gmail.com wrote:

> On Thursday, March 6, 2014 8:06:19 AM UTC, Bruno Marchal wrote:
>>

>> On 05 Mar 2014, at 22:15, ghi...@gmail.com wrote:
>>

>> On Monday, March 3, 2014 6:53:16 AM UTC, Bruno Marchal wrote:

>>> Would you agree you've said many  times that it is? Consciousness
>>> intrinsic of computation?
>>>

>>> You will not find one quote. On the contrary I insist on the contrary.
>>> Consciousness is an attribute of person, and they exist in Platonia, out of
>>> time and space and physics, which arises from their views from inside.
>>> It is very simple: you cannot equate a first person notion, like
>>> consciousness, and *any* third person notions. With comp, we almost equate
>>> it when saying yes to the doctor, but we don't it "affirmatively", we do it
>>> because we *hope* we get a level right, but the theory will explain that we
>>> are "invoking God" implicitly in the process, and that is why I insist it
>>> is a theology.
>>>

>> Fair enough Bruno - I got that wrong then.
>>

>> OK.
>>

>> I was very sure, but I'm too lazy to go look, since intuitively I do
>> totally trust your word. However, like me you may be a bit mad, in which
>> case, if I do see a quote I'll be sure to come get you!
>>

>> Well, that might not been enough. I might have indeed use expression like
>> "a machine can think" or even "computation can be conscious" in some
>> context, as a shortening for "a machine can support consciousness", or "a
>> computation can make possible for a conscious person to manifest itself
>> relatively to some environment".
>>
>> The basic rule is simple: we cannot identify any 1p thing with any 3p
>> thing. The nice happening in AUDA, is that we can understand from the math
>> that impossibility in a complete 3p view. That is: we can explain in the
>> usual 3p scientific mode why there is an 1p, different from the 3p body,
>>  and different from any 3p notion, without needing to commit ourself to an
>> ontological dualism. The dualism involved is purely epistemological, but
>> shown unavoidable for any self-referentially correct machines or relative
>> numbers.
>>
>> Note that Kripke himself, using modal logic, already provided an argument
>> against the brain-mind identity thesis, notably in his book "Naming and
>> Necessity".
>>
>> Bruno
>>

> Fair enough....but can I just say my most recent memory, which is very
> partial and devoid of context...just a few shards of shattered glass
> really. The only point of it, would be if it jogged your memory saying it,
> which allowed you to explain. There's a strong possibility my memory was
> someone else not you so not to worry if you're sure you didn't say it.
>
> So my memory shard for context is that....things turned to what I thought
> was the matter of computation and whether it was intrinsically conscious.
>
> I don't remember how the too and fro happened, but at some stage, another
> memory shard is that, I interpreted, you responded affirmatively to
> [...]

Bruno - scrap the above. I wasn't thinking clearly. I don't know why I'm
bothering you or me with a 'shard' memory. You're explaining the sense
you would mean it to me above. Therefore it doesn't matter what wording was
used in the past, beyond the sort of input a high school English teacher
would have into this :O)

Instead of the above, can I request some context, in terms of what other
people that are your peers, think as to this. For example, the guy that
said something like "consciousness is what code feels like to be processed".

Would you say that statement implies a belief computation is trinsically
conscious?

What about others - like Russell (who might just read this and be willing
to answer ). Does Russell (a) agree with you completely (b) think
computation is intrinsically conscious (c) think it isn't (d) think
it's unsettled (e) some version of that set, with words like 'probably'
added.

Does Church thesis say anything either way? That is, the version of comp
you use for a starter? What about other versions, whether alternative or
primordial/earlier/original or whatever

All much appreciated. I think I understand the Turing/universal/machine
definitions....even if can't express them correctly. I've a good visual on
that, I think.

Cheers!