From: everything-list@googlegroups.com
[mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Platonist Guitar
Cowboy
Sent: Monday, March 10, 2014 6:14 PM
To: everything-list@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: The way the future was

On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 12:59 AM, chris peck <chris_peck...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

Hi PGC

yep. All art, like language, has an etymology.

The Pistols weren't special because they did anything 'new', but because
they did something that challenged the status quo of the time. When it comes
to shocking people The Rite of Spring had the audience rioting at its
premier, so suck on that Johnny Rotten!

The Pistols were special because they ripped off David Bowie's sound system.
Literally that's how they got their sound; at least the amplification
component of it.

Chris

>>All of heavy metal, rock, punk etc. is slave to what we call the power
chord; albeit today's punk rockers are quite dogmatic regarding the harmony
be expressed with distorted guitars.

Yes, thats true, but I don't think punk rock is really about musical
innovation is it?

These guys make a good argument that all pop of the past 40 years is
essentially the same single song, you might like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pidokakU4I

Yes, I can see that and raise it, while shooting it down too: in terms of
most parameters (not exclusively that harmonic sequence, funny as the video
is), what is often called pop is western romantic era song form,
overemphasizing particularities like blue notes, certain African
polyrhythms, suspension and blue use of dominant harmonies and progressions,
what is perceived as ethnic etc.I think 'buzz' or new styles always exhibit
some local bias/overemphasis on a set of particular musical properties that
proves ''not us, man. We've reinvented a better wheel' as opposed to the
locally more worn kitsch. And, in the vague overlapping spans of
generations, they do and they don't.

So the swing guys started to bebob, and they then hard bobbed because things
weren't fast enough, then some guys felt this too hasty and became cool; in
mid 20th century Jazz say. With recording technology and computers this
effect explodes to the point that you know nobody who knows all current
stylistic phenomena, branches, sub-branches...

But, I enjoy when people share their musical tastes and fetishes, however
they break it down, and always meet a new musical conception whenever
somebody bumps into me.
''Wow, ok that is the thing for them. Amazing, I always thought that's..''
PGC

>>Or the stoners 60 thousand years ago with flutes, bones, rocks, and sticks
might have already been 'rocking', as they certainly had the 'homeless
nomadic take no prisoners perpetually alienated in hostile environment'
thing of punk going. Yes, even the funky hairstyles and ritual clothing
would be plausible ;-) PGC

Im sure you're right.

  _____