On Saturday, March 15, 2014 7:39:21 AM UTC, Bruno Marchal wrote:

> [...]
>> they lost the conceptual distinctions that would be necessary upfront to
>> think coherently about the issue.
>>
>> Done right, objective statements can be made, or maximized in their
>> objectivity, by ensuring by design, no useful information can be taken away
>> from them. Two of them together, properly paired (i.e. not just any two)
>> can have useful information when considered together, and that useful
>> information will inherit the quantity of being maximally objectively true.
>>
>> That's the construction of, say, Darwin's natural selection. Individually
>> useless, but objectively maximal statements are made, and properly paired
>> up. Taken together they have implications, that lead on to an insight of
>> natural selection. Such insights have a special property that we
>> intuitively recognize. The property is that they seem to prove
>> themselves by their very definition.
>>
>> In fact the natural selection example, piles on further problems for
>> Popper, because seen this way, poppers own interpretation of natural
>> selection - that is fundamental to his whole theory, is drawn into
>> question. Very serious questions. But that's another story and I already
>> digress too far.
>>
>> So back to the matter of comp, now in terms of the importance of method,
>> method now hopefully tentatively established as a powerfully important
>> component, that goes way beyond the boilerplate formulas for what is
>> 'science' currently in play.
>>
>> I've asked questions about method. You have not answered them. You say
>> you have been trying to understand me. I believe you have been trying. But
>> what you haven't been doing, is trying to understand me at all. Evidence?
>> Well, is there a single instance in all our discussion where you say "ok,
>> so is this what you mean? I can see what you are thinking. OK, I don't
>> agree, but let's work this through on your terms, and I believe we can do
>> that , because I believe the science is robust. Let's do that, and through
>> doing that, let us take that slightly scenic view together, off the beaten
>> track; walk with me and I'll escort you back to where I am already. Because
>> there are many paths, but only one landscape."
>>
>> Or words to that effect.
>>

> And I get it, that you don't understand what I am thinking, and there's
> likely a consensus around that too, that I'm not being coherent.
>

> Well, thanks for answering for me. I might indeed have some difficulty
> seeing your point here. Usually I prefer to separate philosophical analysis
> from the technical points. That is why I separate also completely the
> question of the truth of comp and its consequences from the question as to
> know if comp does lead to such consequences.
>

> And I'm accommodating that and answering that, above. How could you get
> what I'm asking while cloaked in the Popperian view as true.
>

> I don't feel so much cloaked in the Popperian view. It has been been
> refuted by John Case, notably (showing that Popper was doing science in his

Bruno - how do you mean this? You have consistently defined science in
popper terms? You've defined theory in conjectural terms. You've defined
the terms for evaluation and criteria for acceptance - of a theory -
multidimensionally in popper terms in line with dimensions of popperian
philosophy itself. You've rejected or said you don't understand, wherever
and whenever I have spoken as if in reference to something other than
popper. You've claimed something is science because testable, and testable
as falsifiable, and all of this nothing added or subtracted from boiler
plate popperianism.

You've acknowledged popperianism as the best explanation in various ways,
in various contexts, in various places.

Most of my lines of argument that you typically return a blank on involve a
criticism of assumptions you are building in, that assume popper as true?

I don't remember you acknowledging a single point as even understood. I
don't remember you changing a major inbuilt assumption of popper, some of
which I've pointed at agaain and again, some of which you were explicitly
putting at the centre of a theory. You didn't complain at the popper
linkage....on the contrary the indicate fun has been you acknowledged and
applied popper faithfully and regarded doing so as a virtue.

Now you say you regard popper as refuted.

Did I just refute popper in your view?

I don't think that's only a refutation of popper. Nor is it the only
refutation of popper. I think - or I theorized as part of the effort - that
I would seek to provide something that'd be my best shot at something that
you would get. For being also, something that you'd pretty immediately see
was true in lots of ways that directly connected to things your reasoning,
or the standard reasoning behind, also say to be true.

I thought I was giving something there that can sit beneath things, at
least potentially. Beneath logic. Arithmetic. Something also that can
reinforce, and prove things, and generate empirical predictions from
things, not previously possible so directly to do.

Very ambitious hopefulness. I know. I have to be willing to look a fool,
for being wrong. Or even made a fool for being right.

But in a way it is predictive. Contingent on you....being in the role of
objective reality. What you say is true will be true. To the extent I'm
right that's going to be a reversal moment for you, a healing moment....I
hope.

Apologies if I just lost you Bruno

> I certainly don't believe anything in the sense of believing it true. I
> prefer to just make clear the assumptions, and reason from there, until I
> found a contradiction.e

You know the popperian criteria of what is true, accommodates this fully.

> One of the thing I want to illustrate is that we can tackle
> "philosophical" or "theological" questions with the same rigor than in math
> or physics, once we choose the hypothesis making that possible.
> Computationalism is such an hypothesis. It is a lamp and I search the key
> under that lamps, because it is too much dark elsewhere.

There are implications of meaning that in a certain range of ways....that
would have translated to implications for the popperian view that is
evident throughout. At least to appreciate a direct argument based around
an assumption being unsafe.