On Sun, Jun 29, 2014 at 10:13 PM, LizR <lizj...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The "yes doctor" thing says that if H-guy is destroyed in the process of
> being scanned prior to transmission, then he will see

Then who will see?

> M or W (or both, depending on how you want to look at it. I don't want to
> get into pronouns at this point).

There is no choice, you just used a personal pronoun at a crucial point so
we HAVE to go into it. For the moment forget what your third grade English
teacher may have said and answer the following question: in the above
thought experiment is the pronoun "he" singular or plural? Bruno can never
give a straight answer to that and that is why I flat out refuse to use the
silly little provincial homemade term "comp";  it's claimed to just mean
"yes doctor" but then Bruno's next utterance is "according to comp *he*
will see this but *he* will never see that" and Bruno never even give a
hint about who the hell is "he" is supposed to be.

> Dr McCoy worries that every time someone goes through the transporter,
> he's being murdered and a clone created which only thinks it's the same
> person.

Thinking that I'm alive and am John Clark is plenty good enough for me! And
I would be absolutely delighted to find out that I had been murdered
yesterday because then that would mean that death is not nearly as big a
deal as I had thought it was. I can't imagine hearing better news!

  John K Clark