On 3 Jul 2014, at 5:09 am, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

>> A brain simply hosts a self, best generalised as a mind. This might be the
>> same as soul, but I'm not really into the supernatural, only a vastly
>> expanded reality.
>
> Based on assertions about your feelings?
>
> Brent

Yes. This is theology, remember. The feeling that there is something ageless
and eternal about the self is a kind of religious assertion. I think it is
possible to see this as a "self-referentially correct" (Löbian) statement,
based only on 1P evidence. The religion you have when you are not using any
formal, institutionalised religious framework. When you throw out all public
religion, this does not mean that you have given away religion. Thomas Aquinas
said "the soul is naturally religious." Well, he said it in Latin.

Kim