On 12 Jul 2014, at 19:34, John Clark wrote:

On Fri, Jul 11, 2014  Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

>>> That is the 3p view *on* the future 1-views.

>> The? why not *a* future 1-view

> Because as you just agree above, there are 2 futures first person perspectives,

If there are two (and there are) then *a* future first person perspective is Moscow AND *a* future first person perspective is Washington. If there are two (and there are) then there is no such thing as *the* future first person perspective.

Of course there is. You know when in Helsinki, (as a comp believer) that you will survive, and you expect (with that comp relative certainty) that you will drink a cup of coffee in some city, which can only be Moscow, or Washington. (I add to the protocol a free coffee in each city for the courageous teletransporter(s)).

I guess that if you accept my invitation to Helsinki, the pronoun "you" will not make problem at least up to Helsinki.

So in Helsinki, I might ask you just this: what do you expect when pushing the button, asking from what do you expect about the evolution of your subjective life, like the one you describe in the personal diary (futures diaries).

Do you expect to die, or to vanish? No. that would contradict step 0.

Do you expect feeling mysteriously in both cities, drinking a mixture of russian and american coffee?

Can you be sure that, after having push the button, you will drink a russian coffee? Imagine that you are *sure* that you will drink a cup of coffee after pushing the button. Then you push the button, and I ask my colleague to interview the copy in washington. that copy has the memory of having been sure that after pushing the button, she would drink russian coffee. that copy has the memory of pushing the button, and opening the door, and getting american coffee. Her first person experience is the one of having bet on russian coffee, and experiencing now only american coffee. She can intellectually imagine and believe in her copy in Moscow, but that is not what she experienced, and given that the question was about that experience, she knows now that she was wrong.

> Are you not just contradicting yourself

NO.

>>> The answer will be "W and M". But that is specifically not what is asked to the guy in Helsinki. He is

>> John Clark hates pronouns!

> Come on. "He" refers to "the guy in Helsinki"

And exactly as John Clark predicted Bruno Marchal continues to use the phrase "the guy in Helsinki" without explaining if that means someone who remembers bring in Helsinki and being a guy, or if it means a guy who is currently experiencing Helsinki.

The context, that you avoid, made it clear.

You try hard to misunderstand something that you understand very well, all this to avoid step 4.

> We have agree on all the use of pronouns.

LIKE HELL WE HAVE!

> As you believe in comp [...]

I do NOT believe in "comp"!!!! I don't even know what the damn thing means and you don't either,

You believe in comp, as it is the step zero of the UDA.

Don't confude comp and the consequence of comp that I try to explain to you. Your reason to be stuck in step 3 did not convince anybody, and are ridiculous, as you keep avoiding the 1/3 distinction at the precise palce you claim there is an ambiguity.

your silly little homespun word has no consistent definition. You say it just means agreeing to be duplicated but then you insist that according to "comp" there is one and only one unique future that "you" have and its grand title is " *The* future 1p".

No. It is a plural. In the 10-iterated WM duplication, you get 2^10 unique future-1ps. The 1ps are all unique, in the 1p views, with their own personal diaries, with an explicit history like WWWWWMMWMM. No algorithm could have predicted that *personal subjective experience". You said "I will live them all", but all of them, looking at their diary, refute that proposition.

> at the moment he makes the asked prediction, and thus before he pushes on the button. [...] you know that when you push on the button, you will [...]

And exactly as John Clark predicted Bruno Marchal is unable to speak about the nature of personal identity without using lots of personal pronouns even though the hypothetical situation involved was specifically designed to challenge conventional ideas of personal identity.

UDA offers simple 3p definition of the 3p and 1p pronouns, that even kids understand.

AUDA offers purely arithmetical definition for the 3p notion, and then take the Theaetetus' definition for the 1p notion, making it definable (or meta-definable) in arithmetical terms, and also prove it non definable by the machines.

Then the goal is the prediction of event, like pushing a button, and making some measurement.

Here we have a machine that can make exact copies of people and yet Bruno Marchal continues to use personal pronouns in exactly the same way as always as if the existence of such machines didn't call into question things that we don't need to give a second thought about today.

Just read the posts, or the paper, or the book(s). You are the one who dismiss a distinction to claim an ambiguity.

> And speaking of predictions John Clark predicts that when Bruno Marchal states the question in the next post it will be filled with words that are ambiguous in a world with duplicating machines, words like "I" and "he" and "you". John Clark further predicts that it will contain phrases like "the Helsinki Man" without having made clear if that means remembering being a man in Helsinki or if it means a man currently experiencing Helsinki

> Unfair remark. I told you since the begining that the prediction is asked to the Helsinki man, when he is in Helsinki

I don't care when you ask, I want to know who you're asking. I want to know what you mean by "the Helsinki man".

? (it is you, John Clark, having accepted to go to Helsinki and to push on that button). the question of prediction is always asked BEFORE we push on the button, and, by the definition given of first person, the confirmation or refutation of the prediction is asked on all copies. example: if in Helsinki you (John Clark, the guy I send this post to, arriving at Helsinki by plane, etc.) predict I will dring an american coffe with proba 100%, then I will go in Moscow to get my counterexample (by definition) of your prediction/ Sorry John, here in Moscow, we just don't have american coffe, yopur bet was wrong. If at this stage you say "But i know that I am also in Washington drinking american coffee, I will reply: "no John, you can believe this, but you can't know this. You make a confusion between belief and knowledge, which is indeed a confusion between 3p and 1p.

> the confirmation of success of the prediction is asked to each copies (that is, the helsinki man, when he arrive at Moscow).

To John Clark that sure sounds like "the Helsinki man" is anyone who remembers being a man in Helsinki; and Bruno Marchal has already said that "he" refers to the Helsinki man, therefore after the duplication Bruno Marchal cannot continue to refer to "he" without creating mountains of ambiguity.

We have agree many times that both copies are genuine older helsinki man. You invent ambiguities where there are none.

You seem to have difficulties to grasp that from the 1p view, the view are unique, even if there are many 1p views, when seen from the out of the tele-box observer.

> The algorithm is only asked to find a predictive algorithm on its first person experience.

Forget finding the answer, as John Clark predicted Bruno Marchal can't even explain exactly what the question is without using ambiguous personal pronouns.

Read the "amoeba secret". I explain this without any difficulties since the age of ten.

The only technical difficulty was in understanding conceptually how a finite entity can "name" itself in the 3p, but at the age of 16 I understood Gödel's solution, based on the D"X" = "XX" method, itself coming from Cantor, Dubois-Raymond, ...).

You can take the arithmetical Hypostases as a general theory of pronouns, it is my specialty. The mathematical theory of indexical.

But prove John Clark wrong;

It has been done many times, but you change your strategy in circle.

after all pronouns were created for convenience not because they were absolutely necessary, so if they are not being used to state what is supposed to be proven as John Clark says then just stop using pronouns; just tell John Clark exactly what the question is without using all those goddamn personal pronouns.

Just ask John Clark to answer the 2^(16180 * 10000) * (60 * 90) * 24 - iterated multiplication experience.

I multiply John Clark 24 times per second (24) during 1h30 (60 * 90), into as many copies can be sent in front of one of the 2^(16180 * 10000) possible images on a screen with 16180 * 10000 pixels which can only be black or white each.

What can John Clark, before pushing the button, expect about the first person experience that John Clark will live, and will describe in his personal diary after pushing the starting multiplication button and wait for 1h30?

Is John Clark, or any machines, assuming comp of course, reasonably entitled to predict for John Clark most probable first person future:

- John Clark will experience (1) seeing all movies (at once),
- John Clark will experience a black and white movie (perhaps quite avant-garde),
- John Clark will experience the always black movie,
- John Clark will experience the always white movie,
- John Clark will experience seeing all movies, but not at once, so that John Clark can't predict which one in particular John Clark will feel in his personal consciousness stream),
- A (silent) Hitchcock movie,
- A (silent) Hitchcock movie with greek subtitles,
- A random movie (white noise),
-
?

By definition of the "first person", or "experience", the verification is made by comparing the prediction (done of course before the button pushing) and the content of all diaries, or any non biased sample of them.

Bruno

  John K Clark