On Tuesday, August 19, 2014, David Nyman <da...@davidnyman.com> wrote:

> On 18 August 2014 23:27, Stathis Papaioannou <stath...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I'm not entirely clear on Bruno's argument on this last point. The way
>> I see it, if a brain is simulated by a computer program, what is being
>> simulated is the physics; and if comp is true, that means that
>> simulating the physics will also reproduce the brain's consciousness.
>> I'm not sure about computations instantiating consciousness without
>> instantiating physics, and I'm not sure how instantiating the
>> appearance of physics is different to instantiating (virtual) physics.
>>

> I've always understood him to be saying, in the first place, that the
> dovetailer necessarily generates certain classes of self-referential
> computations. Very generally, such computations are then regarded as
> emulating self-referred (i.e. first-personal or indexical) logics that in
> turn are amenable to treatment as "beliefs" in realities or appearances. So
> the idea is that comp necessarily entails epistemological logics (the
> "dreams of the machines") that are *prior* to physics in the sense that
> only certain sub-classes will be characterised by the statistical dominance
> of physically-lawlike relations over their range of reference. I've always
> assumed that it's this logical priority of "machine psychology" over the
> subsequent appearance of lawlike physical relations that constitutes the
> postulated "reversal".

What we know is that the brain can generate consciousness. The brain is not
a digital computer running a program, but if it can be simulated by one,
and if the simulation is conscious, and if the program can be "run" in
Platonia rather than on a physical computer, then every possible brain's
consciousness will necessarily be instantiated. I'm not sure whether
self-referential computations on their own are conscious - that would seem
a further assumption on top of the three mentioned in the previous sentence
- even though it does seem more elegant than simulating klunky brains.