On 19 Aug 2014, at 17:59, meekerdb wrote:

On 8/19/2014 3:10 AM, David Nyman wrote:
On 19 August 2014 01:53, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

So the idea is that comp necessarily entails epistemological logics (the "dreams of the machines")

Except that it seems to be an epistemology very different from ones we usually practice. What's the last time you learned a fact about the world by proving it from Peano's axioms?

Well, you frequently counsel me against arguing on the basis of personal incredulity. So I could respond by asking you when was the last time you learned a fact about the world by deducing it from the molecular structure of your brain.

But that's not my theory of epistemology. I infer the existence of my brain and molecular structures via a very long chain of inferences and hypotheses starting with my perceptions.

OK. that is a definition of []p, if you bet on comp, so that your representational believes are hardwired and evolves obeying some induction axioms. Unfortunately, you can be hallucinated (G* proves <>[]f), so to get knowledge, we just add "God knows it", which we locally emulate by the sentence p.

Bruno defines []p & p as knowledge, but that doesn't show any way of getting knowledge except []p,

Not at all. []p alone is only belief. Bye incompleteness, the meta- definition []p & p changes the game completely. the knower is no more even a machine from its points of view. Like Alice wandering in some forest, we lose our name, there. We lose any 3p description, and that is why the saying "yes" to the doctor will ask for some act of faith.

i.e. proving p from axioms (and p happening to be true, i.e. the axioms are true).

We never know that. I agree we can be pretty sure for the axioms of first order arithmetic.

So the epistemology is either mathematical proof or it's left to the hoped-for "statistical mechanics" analysis of the UD.

Only the doxastic (belief) is mathematical, and semi-computable (computable when true/converging). The first person defined by 1p, is for us, beyond all theories and realms. But a rich Löbian machine can still study the theology of simpler machine, and she can know that it applies to her if God will (if she is correct). Then the UD gives the restriction on the sigma_1 sentences, in the arithmetical interpretation of the modal logics, and that is used for the FPI.

[]p & <>t gives the proba, not knowledge, that is why []p & <>p & p, will still add a nuance (the feeler).

I guess we will come back on this.

Given that we are committed to explaining the complex in terms of something simpler, then some sort of structure, defined molecularly or otherwise, must surely be implicated in what it means to learn a fact, even though we can't yet say precisely what it is.

I guess I take the logics that Bruno investigates in AUDA to be at something analogous to the "molecular" level vis-a-vis any explanation of cognition or perception that would strike us as intuitively familiar. So just as an understanding of the dynamics of molecular bonding has turned out to be crucial to an appreciation of the possibilities of large-scale structure, the hope (or project) is that we can derive something of analogous relevance, to the structure of human-like cognition and perception, from a rigorous study of particular classes of more basic logical relations.

that are *prior* to physics in the sense that only certain sub- classes will be characterised by the statistical dominance of physically-lawlike relations over their range of reference.

It's pretty much like Bertrand Russell's neutral monism. There are events or states that classified one way constitute experiences or thoughts of individuals, and classified another way, some of them constitute objective physical events.

That's not a bad way of putting it as a general position. My point though was that if we want to start from a very general notion of computation that doesn't presuppose physics, we must seek to justify the differentiation of a sub-class of lawlike physical realities from a much larger totality. According to comp, this differentiation is rooted in the statistical dominance of certain classes of internal "belief" or reference that are deducible from a quasi-ubiquitous form of self-referential "machine psychology". I guess it is only to be expected that a fundamental concept of this sort would strike us as being at some remove from any putative elaboration at the human scale. The devil, as ever, will be found in the detail.

David