On 19 August 2014 07:10, Stathis Papaioannou <stath...@gmail.com> wrote:

What we know is that the brain can generate consciousness. The brain is not
> a digital computer running a program, but if it can be simulated by one,
> and if the simulation is conscious, and if the program can be "run" in
> Platonia rather than on a physical computer, then every possible brain's
> consciousness will necessarily be instantiated. I'm not sure whether
> self-referential computations on their own are conscious - that would seem
> a further assumption on top of the three mentioned in the previous sentence
> - even though it does seem more elegant than simulating klunky brains.

Well, what I was responding to was "..I'm not sure how instantiating the
appearance of physics is different to instantiating (virtual) physics."
Virtual or digital physics, presumably taking specifically physical
computations as its "primitives", would characterise "the brain" as a
physical composite object hierarchically reducible to such primitives.
Comp, by contrast, seeks to justify the observed dominance of lawlike
physical appearances against the background of the fractal computational
explosion implied by the dovetailer. So in comp terms, "the brain" must
ultimately correspond to a fungible class of self-referential computations
that is able (somehow) to predominate statistically over a cosmic snowstorm
of competing "machine psychologies". All that said, as Bruno is wont to
say, digital or virtual physics as a primitive appears to be
self-defeating. On the assumption of CTM it will inevitably be trumped by
the Vastly more extensive machine psychology extractable from the
dovetailer and hence become explanatorily irrelevant.

As to computations instantiating consciousness without (or as I would
prefer to say, logically prior to) instantiating physics, I guess we would
need more distinctions about consciousness as a general theoretical or
logical concept to make sense of this. ISTM that this is just what Bruno is
attempting to do with AUDA. As I remarked to Brent, it might be expected
that any analysis of very basic logical relations at this level would be at
quite some remove from our usual intuitions about consciousness.
Nonetheless, the project, if successful, must ultimately prove capable of
justifying their relevance to "normal" human experience.

David