On 22 Sep 2014, at 00:33, meekerdb wrote:

On 9/21/2014 10:08 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

On 20 Sep 2014, at 02:44, meekerdb wrote:

On 9/19/2014 9:35 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

On 19 Sep 2014, at 03:09, meekerdb wrote:

Consciousness has a state (which we call the
observer moment). If that state differs, then the state of the
supervened must also differ.

Thus consciousness cannot supervene on the UD* as it doesn't change
for a change of state of consciousness.

This seems to me to arise from equivocation about "consciousness". You are treating it, as I experience it, as a temporal phenomenon - a succession of thoughts, an inner narrative. That's the consciousness I'd like to be able to program/engineer/understand. But Bruno make's consciousness a potentiality of an axiomatic system, for which he seems almost everything alive as a model (in the mathematical sense), anything that could instantiate an "if-then" or a "controlled- controlled-not". And he says that salvia makes him think consciousness need not be temporal - which might be like whiskey sometimes makes me think the ground sways. From Bruno's viewpoint the UD* just IS and Alice's different thoughts as different times are just computations of those thoughts which are correlated with computations of those times. That may resolve the atemporal UD vs the temporal experience, but it still doesn't explain consciousness. It doesn't explain what computations of Alice's are constitute her consciousness as opposed to her subconsciousness or her brain functions or other stuff going on. It is not an answer to say, well maybe everything in conscious.

When you say "Bruno make's consciousness a potentiality of an axiomatic system", it would be more correct to say, that I attribute an actual conscious state, very raw, to the machine having that universal potentiallity.

But you've said you don't believe in "observer moments", so I don't know what "an actual conscious state" can refer to.

Oh, I just mean a raw particular conscious state, like the state of Alice in the room, or the state of someone in some particular circonstances. Mathematically this has to be defined in arithmetic, and some instinctive belief in <>p can work, in a first 3-1p approximation. (<>p v p) works better in the 1p-1p approximation. It is an act of faith, where we are not conscious of the 'faith" act, and quickly based, as we repeat that act every second since birth, perhaps before.

If it refers to a "universal potentiality" I'd say you're just muddling words. A potentiality and a actual state are contradictory things.

No problem. I "really" (currently) tend to think that RA has a raw (even statical) form of consciousness, close to the consciousness of all babies, animal and perhaps plants.

In other words, something completely different from our inner experience of which we have first-person knowledge.

Not at all. It is the inner experience of which babies, simple animals and perhaps plants have their first person knowledge. With salvia or Telmo's isolation tank, it seems most person can remember it. I try to convey it sometimes by a progressive amnesy enlarging itself in a complete amnesy. You can get that state in an instant, sometimes, when looking at shining water.

To attribute consciousness to non universal object, will not make much sense, as object somehow exists only in the imaginations of universal machines. That raw basic consciousness is shared by my and yours laptop, it is the same consciousness, and it can differentiate maximally on all computational histories.

All that means is you've completely redefined "conscious" in you own special language so that it has nothing to do with with direct experience, or any experience at all.

Not at all. It is a "natural" state of consciousness, but that we are not aware of,

"Consciousness is something we are not aware of."? That borders on double-talk.

I forgot to say what we are not aware of, in consciousness. We are not aware it ask already for faith. Consciousness is an interrogative state, like 'am I real?', but we are not aware of the interrogation mark, because that question is done automatically by the brain since birth, probably before.

This "double-talk" works along Helmholtz theory of perception seen as an automated "theorization/induction".

because we focus so much on the everyday content. There are technic, like stopping thinking, medicating, or with some plants, to access more easily such state. You can also conceive it, with enough imagination, by doing thought experience involving amnesia. Forgetting memories does not diminish consciousness (sometimes it can even been felt as liberating, especially when forgetting trauma, or annoying contexts, etc).

Nobody has suggested that forgetting diminishes consciousness.

Nice to hear that.

What I, and others, have said is that if you forgot *all* your memories then whether the same consciousness continued would be doubtful.

Of course. That is why salvia frighten most people, as there is that moment where you have no idea who you are, nor what you are, before the remindering which does not always occur, and then, instead of reminding your divine origin (say) you begin to remind vaguely you were a sort of person in some worlds, but there are so many that you persuade yourself that you can't come back, or worst, that you might come back "wrongly".

The comp lesson, copherent with those experience, is that altough consciousness is an absolute, personal consciousness and identity is extremely relative.

Then you might be able to conceive that complete amnesia without change in the "intensity" of consciousness can make sense.

Yet in other context you insist it is what is directly experience and it is the only knowledge (as compared to mere belief).

Yes. Indeed, it is what is common in all experiences. It is not empty, even if we usually rarely focus on that state.

But that is not an explanation of consciousness, just a consequence of the mechanist hypothesis,

It's a consequence of an unique definition of "consciousness".

which is used more to formulate the problem than to answer it, except that comp makes it possible to formulate the problem in arithmetic,

But why should we suppose the problem formulated in arithmetic is the same problem that we wanted answered:

That follows from the assumption we have made: computationalism. Roughly speaking, the problem becomes a problem in computer science, and what I illustrate is that computer science explains entirely why machines observing itself get the knowledge that reality seems divided into observable and non-observable, (and also justifiable and non justifiable, knowable and non knowable, sensible and non sensible, etc.), and how they develop discourses on those things, and why there is one thing that they can't absolutely understand, communicate, etc.

What makes some arrangements of matter conscious and not others?

No arrangment of matter is conscious. But consciousness can use reason and can manifest itself through the arithmetical relation where they have "enough long histories and memories". Consciousness is always there from the inside view of arithmetic, like all the universal numbers or relation are there, like all the the prime numbers are there, which what you can understand if you agree with logic and elementary arithmetic.

I suspect that the "reformulated problem in arithmetic" is completely different.

Why?

and to use meta-arithmetical theorems to get some light (the arithmetical points of view/hypostases) on the picture. Shortly UDA is the problem, AUDA (G, G*, S4Grz, ...) is the beginning of the solution and its testing, improvement, etc.

I don't thing it makes sense to say that everything is conscious, only the subject, that is the (universal) machines and the gods.

When are they conscious?

Consciousness is not located in time and space. Those are part of the conscious experience. The consciousness of your laptop is not "here and now" in your sense of "here and now", but in the subject itself sense.

Is my laptop conscious when it's turned off (it still has the potential of being turned on)?

You continue to use the machine-mind identity.

?? You're the one who brought up my laptop: "That raw basic consciousness is shared by my and yours laptop,..."

I was talking about the universal person incarnated in your laptop. When your laptop is off, it does not become unconscious, it just becomes impossible for it to manifest itself relatively to you.

Consciousness is 1p, and immaterial, but can be attributed to the abstract person associated to the machine. Of course, for AUDA, you can also decide to attribute consciousness to the Löbian machine, which is the machine + some reservoir of induction axioms.

It is only that by extending the raw consciousness of the Löbian universal machine to simpler universal machine explains better some report of "mystical" experience. The consciousness of RA is an "alterated consciousness state" for PA, if you want.

To be sure I don't use this idea in my publications, but I don't see how we can avoid it in the translation of Plotinus, nor how could salvia make sense if that is wrong. Some go farer in attrubuting consciousness to all things, but I think that this is too much, and might not make sense in comp, if only because "things" is not well defined.

Consciousness is an attribute of the abstract or immaterial person, which is distributed in infinitely many arithmetical relations. The one of RA differentiates quickly, from the subject views, into any possible computational histories. Running a program does not create any consciousness, it helps only to make some person manifestable relatively to you.

And not manifest to anyone else either - which is evidence it doesn't exist.

?
No, once you run the program, the person can manifest relatively to anyone. Of course if it is Obama the program (the person associated to the program) might get trouble with the police.

  Is it conscious no matter what program it's executing?

Yes.

Even if it's just turning the furnace ON when the house is too cold. I think you contradict yourself.

Sorry, I understood "no matter what universal program is running". Turning of and thermostats are too much simple. Consciousness start with universal machine.

If my laptop is conscious even when it's OFF then consciousness is a potentiality of an arrangement of matter.

Matter is a possible means to implement universal machine. That is of course in need to be explained when we assume comp. Why can we build stable computer from the statistics on the all computations running below our substitution problem. the answer seems to be: because the laws of observability ([]p & <>t, ...) obeys quantum logic when p is restricted to the UD-accessible true propositions (the sigma_1 true sentences).

technically I could explain that there is a notion of sub- universality, or sub-creativity, and that conciousness starts probably there, but that would be too much technical. Consciousness starts with the self-speeding up ability.

How can "speeding up" mean anything about an atemporal potentiality?

The "speeding-up" is itself an atemporal property of all universal (and sub-universal) machines. It means that they have a high probabilities to find themselves in environment where they can moves themselves and develop "free-will" or "will".

?? I think you just mean that an intelligence that kept track of all its reasoning would be slow.

I alluded to a theorem by Blum and Marquez which shows that self- speeding-up ability characterizes and is characterized by sub- universality. Or Blum theorem that creative set, or universal machine are infinitely speedable (no best compiler theorem). or Gödel's theorem on the length of proofs. (Adding an undecidable sentence as axiom to a theory makes infinitely propositions becoming decidable, and shortened infinitely many proofs of already decidable propositions.

I can prove it one day, if we come back on the phi_i and the w_i. The proof of that theorem is short.