On Tue, Sep 23, 2014 at 10:57 AM, Quentin Anciaux <allco...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>> And this is a example of why I'm so certain that regardless of what you
>> say "comp" is NOT just a abbreviation for computationalism.
>> Computationalism says that consciousness is what matter does when it is
>> organized in certain ways
>>

> > No, that's not computationalism... that's functionalism.

According to Wikipedia "functionalism" is the belief that mental states are
caused by "relations to other mental states, sensory inputs, and behavioral
outputs".

This definition must have come from a professional philosopher or
psychologist, only they are silly enough to feel the need to put a name
(functionalism) on a platitude like the above; according to it everybody
must be a functionalist, even the Pope.

> Computationalism involve computations

Yes.

> Consciousness could come from matter organized in certain ways without
> being the result of a computation.

Please explain how you could organize matter, or organize anything else,
without using information. And if it involves information then it is in the
realm of computation and computers.

  John K Clark