On Wed, Jan 7, 2015  'Chris de Morsella' via Everything List <
everything-list@googlegroups.com> wrote:

>>  Ultimate reality? What would make one reality more real than another?
> To a physicist pressure is a perfectly real concept, and the idea that
> pressure makes a balloon expand is true. And the concept that a million
> billion trillion gas molecules are pushing on the inside of a balloon
> making it expand is also true. Both ideas exist and both are true, so why
> is one idea more real than another?

> But isn't it also true that in this case "pressure" is actually an
> emergent phenomenon

Sure, but why are emergent phenomenon less real than non-emergent
phenomenon? Is chemistry less real than physics? Is biology less real than
chemistry? Is consciousness less real than biology?

> resulting form the accumulated effect of the trillions upon trillions of
> gas molecules careening into each other and into the atoms comprising the
> inner surface of the balloon... and that the force of these countless
> interactions is what emerges as the phenomenon we measure as pressure?

Two different ways of saying the same thing and both are true. The one that
is the most useful depends on the thing you're trying to do, if you're
studying Brownian Motion you use one, if you're studying hurricanes you use
the other.

  John K Clark