On Thu, Jan 8, 2015 at 11:48 PM, Samiya Illias <samiyaill...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> > Most Muslims are also horrified by the cruelty, imbecility and ignorance
> of the people who are orchestrating and doing / getting done these and
> other terrible acts in the name of Islam. It's wrong, it's horrible

That it is.

> and it's not Islamic!

Most liberals would not challenge that assertion out of fear of being
called a bigot, or in certain parts of the world out of fear of being
beheaded, but let's see how that statement squares with reality. It didn't
receive much press because things like it are so common but In October of
last year in a town called Abu Hamam in eastern Syria The Islamic State
beheaded, crucified and shot 700 people because their form of religious
idiocy was slightly different from their own.

In just the last few days Muslims beheaded western journalists. A Muslim
Imam took 17 innocent hostages in a Australian cafe and after a 16 hour
siege 3 hostages were dead and fortunately the Imam also took a dirt nap.
In a school in Pakistan Muslims murdered 132 children because they didn't
like the religion of their parents.  And now we have the murders by Muslims
at the newspaper Charlie Hebdo because they did not like their cartoons.
The murderers shouted "We avenged the Prophet Muhammad" and "Allah Akbar"
as they fled. You say most Muslims are horrified by this, but if so why
don't we see the millions of Muslims living in France join in with the
people protesting the murders? Why aren't the Muslims chanting "I am
charlie" along with the non-Muslims of France instead of "Allah Akbar"? And
why don't Islamic governments react to these outrages?

Well Saudi Arabia did do something interesting, it convicted a man named
Raif Badawi of insulting the Prophet Muhammad on his blog, he was fined 1
million riyals ( $267,000) and sentenced to 1000 lashes. He received the
first 50 lashes just today, and he received them publicly, and I'm sure
lots of devout Muslims had a good time watching the spectacle, I don't know
if it was televised. The poor man will receive the remaining 950 lashes
privatly over the next 20 weeks. If he survives the next 20 weeks of
torture (a big "if" because we are after all talking about 1000 lashes) he
will then spend the next 10 years in prison; I'd hate to think what his
back will look like then. Are most Muslims in Saudi Arabia horrified by
this? I doubt it, they probably think the sentence was too lenient; a
recent opinion poll in Saudi Arabia found that 92% of the population
believed that The Islamic State, the same organization that did all that
crucifying and beheading in Syria, "conforms to the values of Islam and
Islamic law".

> the victims of these horrible acts across the world are largely Muslims.
> It makes us wonder who is behind these atrocities?

Are you perhaps talking about some dastardly Jewish conspiracy?

  John K Clark