On Sat, Jan 31, 2015 at 10:34 PM, Samiya Illias <samiyaill...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 01-Feb-2015, at 1:57 am, Platonist Guitar Cowboy <
> multiplecit...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>  Kierkegaard complained about this with his own Religion, the Christians.
> Maybe all religions suffer from this as there is vanity in assuming to know
> what god wants from us.
>

> I believe that Quran is from God, hence I try to follow it. You ask me
> questions and I try to answer them. Sometimes, yes, I also volunteer to
> share some verse which I find relevant to my perspective of something being
> discussed. Is that vanity or just sharing of knowledge?

Good question.

If somebody keeps insisting on literal interpretation, then it's hard to
see how they could "volunteer" things in innocent, benevolent fashion to
enrich the varied perspectives of respected others. They have a literal
interpretation, so they have an obvious mission, which involves forcing the
others to see what they see. The "others" would not be respected, hence the
relation of literal interpretation to insult.

Volunteer is like offering. It marks respect. Advancing literal
interpretation is more like a person screaming their message with a
megaphone (and if literal interpretation, why not force, punish, or
manipulate others to believe, as one assumes oneself to be as correct as
god/truth/reality?). Indeed, the latter kind of person also "offers" in
some sense, I guess. PGC