On Sun, May 10, 2015 at 05:12:08PM +0200, Bruno Marchal wrote:

> On 09 May 2015, at 03:07, Russell Standish wrote:
>
> >On Fri, May 08, 2015 at 09:02:29AM +0200, Bruno Marchal wrote:
> >>
> >>In 1987, when I present the argument, in the room some come up with
> >>similar idea, and I answered. But some told me after that when
> >>people come up with idea like a recording is conscious, or 2+2 might
> >
> >Really? Why are people so quick to accept that conscious recordings
> >are absurd? Sure I can understand that Bogie in the screen version of
> >Casablanca is not conscious, but that is not the sort of recording
> >we're talking about. Here we're talking about something like an EEG
> >pattern where every neuron is recorded, as well as the entire
> >connectome. Why is it any more absurd for that to be be conscious than
> >it is for the original lump of grey goo to be conscious?
>
> That movie are conscious qua computatio is absurd, because the movie
> contains only a description of a computation, with no logical or
> arithmetic, nor physical (among the relevant one to have a
> computation).

It has the physical, after the movie _is being_ replayed, and is
physically indistinguishable from the original computation.

I don't agree that it is only "a description of a computation". It is
a computation, albeit one of a restricted class. For example, one can
formally remove all conditional/branch instructions from the recording
replay. The question is why is it intuitively obvious that
conditional/branch structure are _required_ for consciousness? That is
what needs to be addressed. (See my earlier positing on another thread
for a possible answer to that).

> That consciousness supervenes on the physical activity of the lump
> of grey goo IS ALSO absurd, as it leads to the point that movie is
> conscious.

For a materialist, saying that statement is absurd, and will lead to
being not listened to any further.

Cheers