On Fri, May 08, 2015 at 09:02:29AM +0200, Bruno Marchal wrote:

> In 1987, when I present the argument, in the room some come up with
> similar idea, and I answered. But some told me after that when
> people come up with idea like a recording is conscious, or 2+2 might

Really? Why are people so quick to accept that conscious recordings
are absurd? Sure I can understand that Bogie in the screen version of
Casablanca is not conscious, but that is not the sort of recording
we're talking about. Here we're talking about something like an EEG
pattern where every neuron is recorded, as well as the entire
connectome. Why is it any more absurd for that to be be conscious than
it is for the original lump of grey goo to be conscious? After all,
the ancient Egyptians thought it a prepostuous idea, and would chuck
the brains out when mummifying the Pharoahs.

I don't think intuition is a reliable guide here, which is why I focus
more on counterfactual correctness, which is at least something that
can be grasped rigorously.