On Tue, Jun 30, 2015 at 11:10:06AM -0700, meekerdb wrote:
On 6/30/2015 10:56 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
OK. No problem with this. But my interest are in consciousness and
qualia, and the advantage of computer science is that it can
handles the computer's truth that the computer cannot communicate,
observe feel, see, etc.
The computer cannot prove some theorems.  And it's commonly said
people can't communicate qualia, e.g. perceptions, feelings,
emotions (although we manage at some level).  But that doesn't make
(unprovable theorems)= qualia.

No, but it is feasible that qualia are a subset of unprovable
statements. Presumably, computationalism entails that qualia must be
expressible in the language of the machine, and such statements are
either provable (and hence comunicable) or not.

Cheers

But there are an infinite number of unprovable propositions. Are we to suppose that all of them are qualia? What qualia is, "Peano arithmetic is consistent"? If many unprovable propositions are not qualia then we need some additional discriminant and the "hard problem" is not solved.