On 25/04/2017 7:30 pm, Bruno Marchal wrote:
On 25 Apr 2017, at 03:44, Brent Meeker wrote:
On 4/24/2017 1:00 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
On 23 Apr 2017, at 13:38, Bruce Kellett wrote:
On 23/04/2017 8:52 pm, Quentin Anciaux wrote:
It's you who's begging the question, first define what is a computation with physics first, without relying on abstract mathematical notion.

A computation with physics is what is happening in the computer I am currently working on. I can describe this in mathematical notation if you wish, but the process is not the notation. Any process that takes input and produces output is a computation. All physical objects do this. And physical objects do not know any mathematics.

You assume that there are primary physical object.

Bruce's post refers to physical objects (one of which he perceives immediately), but nothing he says depends on the physical objects being "primary".

His last remark shows that he is interested in physics. But then why does he participate in a discussion which is in metaphysics/theology/cognitive-science?

I was interested to see if you had anything useful to offer. Also, it seems to be a good idea to have a few contrary voices on this list -- otherwise you would be speaking in an echo chamber where everybody thought alike. Or else just preaching to the choir. That is never a healthy situation.

Pirmary matter is an hypothesis that we do in metaphysics/theology, not in physics.

So if computationalism is just metaphysics/theology, what has it got to do with the real world? You say that 2 + 2 = 4 is a fact in reality. But that is a fact only in arithmetical reality. It relates to the physical world only if one defines a mapping between the symbols and experienced objects. So you have to map the computations of the dovetailer to the world, and that mapping is not part of the definition of the dovetailer. You seem to want to construct the necessary mapping by reference to the perceived world, but that makes the perceived world logically prior to your account of it -- you can't account for it unless you already assume it.

Bruce