On 14/08/2017 11:19 am, Stathis Papaioannou wrote:
On Mon, 14 Aug 2017 at 10:30 am, Bruce Kellett <bhkell...@optusnet.com.au <mailto:bhkell...@optusnet.com.au>> wrote:

    On 14/08/2017 2:51 am, Stathis Papaioannou wrote:
    On Sun, 13 Aug 2017 at 9:38 pm, Bruce Kellett
    <bhkell...@optusnet.com.au <mailto:bhkell...@optusnet.com.au>> wrote:

        I think the problem I see is in the insistence that one
        restrict the subjects of the duplication to first person
        knowledge. Their knowledge of the protocol cannot be purely
        1p -- there has to be a 3p component in that they are told
        the set up, and they have sufficient background 3p knowledge
        to trust the operator, etc. Then, after duplication, they
        also have access to 3p knowledge about both duplicates --
        they can arrange to communicate, for example. So they can
        easily become aware of the fact that the person that
        remembers being Helsinki man sees both Moscow and Washington.
        My point here is that if you restrict them to 1p knowledge
        after the duplication, you must, in order to be consistent,
        restrict them to just 1p knowledge before the experiment; in
        which case they are necessarily unaware of the details of the
        protocol and will have a different perception of what has
        happened.

        In the case of restriction to 1p knowledge the situation
        becomes much more analogous to what happens in QM where
        experiments might have multiple outcomes. In that case there
        is no possibility of communication between the different
        branches of the wave function, so there is genuine
        uncertainty about outcomes, and probabilities are estimated
        from limiting relative frequencies in the usual way. If one
        derives and/or applies the Born Rule in QM, then one can
        assign low probabilities to untypical sequences of results
        and the like. If you mix 1p and 3p knowledge in the
        duplication scenario, you lose this parallel with QM because
        the analogous 3p knowledge is not available in QM.

    If someone believes the MWI is true, then he is aware of the
    protocol and trusts the operator. In duplication experiments
    there is no logical reason why the copies could not be kept
    ignorant of each other

    And there is no logical reason that prevents them from arranging
    beforehand to communicate after the experiment -- in Helsinki, I
    could decide to post my subsequent location to Facebook, and
    communicate with other similar posts.

But if they were prevented from communicating would it make any fundamental difference to the experiment?

    and there is no logical reason why copies in the MWI can't see
    what each other is doing.

    Such inter-branch communication in MWI is physically impossible.
    This is the main reason why person duplication experiments can
    never emulate QM, MWI or not.

It is physically impossible, but what fundamental difference would it make if you could communicate with a copy in a parallel world who diverged from you a while ago? Would you suddenly feel that you weren't you, or that you were in two places at once?

The ability to communicate, or the physical impossibility of such communication, is the fundamental difference between the duplication scenario and quantum MWI. It changes the probabilities: just think of duplication of the apparatus in a spin measurement experiment without simultaneous duplication of the experimenter -- then it is clear that I get both spin up and spin down, in my laboratory, in front of my eyes. This is not possible in MWI since the branches are, by definition, non-interacting.

Bruce