On Wednesday, November 29, 2017 at 4:40:36 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:

> On 30/11/2017 5:31 am, John Clark wrote:
>
> On Tue, Nov 28, 2017 at 10:59 PM, Bruce Kellett <bhke...@optusnet.com.au
> <javascript:>> wrote:
>

> ​ >​
> ​I see no reason all the Everett worlds have the same physics,
>

> ​ > ​
> Everettian worlds follow from assuming that the Schrödinger equation
> applies everywhere without exception, so that all physical evolution is
> unitary. A change in the underlying physics -- such as a change in the
> value of fundamental constants, Planck's constant or Newton's constant for
> example -- would not be unitary, so cannot occur in MWI.
>

> ​
> Why can't it be unitary?? Show me why if
> ​ ​
> Newton's constant had any value other than
> ​ ​
> 6.754* 10^-11 m3 kg^−1 s^−2
> ​  ​
> the sum of all quantum probabilities would no longer add up to exactly 1.
> If you can really do that then you've just derived Newton's constant
> directly from first principles and you should but a ticket to Stockholm
> right now because you're absolutely certain to win the next nobel Prize.
>

> Although unitarity does mean that probabilities always sum to unity, that
> is a consequence of unitary evolution, not a definition of it. A unitary
> transformation is one that can be reversed: so the unitary operator U can
> be written as exp(-iH), for example, and the complex conjugate (or the
> adjoint for hermitian operators) is the inverse transformation.
>
> So for changes in constants to be unitary, there needs to be a hermitian
> operator that brings about these changes. But changes in constants only
> make sense for dimensionless constants such as the fine structure constant,
> and there is currently no theory as to how this would change in a unitary
> manner.

It is interesting you would say this. I wrote a paper nearly 30 years ago
on something like this. The idea was with the renormalization of the Planck
constant ħ → ħ*, that was of the form ħ* ~ ħcosh(gs), where g is gravity
based on g = -∇_aK^b∇^aK_b. This renormalized Planck constant is not an
actual change in the constant, but it is a case where the time dilation and
lensing of observed processes have the effect of freezing out quantum
fluctuations near an event horizon. The transformation is not unitary, but
since it is due to a frame transformation in spacetime it does not imply
the sort of damage thought of with information loss.

The main dimensionless constant is the fine structure constant α = e^2/ħc.
The Planck constant is a conversion factor between momentum and length
(wavelength) and the speed of light is a conversion factor between distance
and time. I think on a frame bundle or an inertial frame these are absolute
constants. This means if the fine structure constant varies it must be the
electric charge.  This is fine with charge renormalization, and potentially
during the inflationary period it was not a set constant that varied with
the vacuum energy.

LC