> On 8 Mar 2018, at 21:11, Brent Meeker <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
>

> On 3/8/2018 7:57 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

>>> Bruno, Russell, Tegmark and others tend to concern themselves a lot
>>> with why our experience of reality looks like it does on the face of
>>> everythingism. That is precisely the "hard part", no?
>
> They recognize that their theory doesn't account for it.  Tegmark makes some
> anthropic speculations.  Bruno just says, 'I claim nothing, except that
> mechanism and materialism are incompatible, and that the mind-body problem is
> reduced into deriving physics from the “material” variants of machine’s ideal
> rational believability/justifiability.'  It's not at all clear to me that
> "reduced" in the appropriate verb...as though it is simpler or more
> fundamental.  Even if you accept his step 7 it has only "reduced" the problem
> to explaining the existence of physics and this particular physics, from the
> assumption of arithmetic and the UD.

That is not completely correct. My theory is just digital mechanism (it is
believed by 99,99% of scientists). The theorem is that physics is reduced to
number theology entirely, making mechanism completely testable, and up to now
confirmed by observation. The net gain is that we get the exact relationship
between quanta and qualia (where physicalist just eliminate qualia or dismiss
consciousness as an epiphenomenon, which it is not).

> It's my view that it may be simpler to explain physics and this physics and
> consciousness from physics.

That would be circular, and not better than explaining God by assuming God, or
Matter by assuming Matter, or consciousness, by assuming consciousness. That is
equivalent with not trying to explain.

> So I could say the mind-body problem has been reduced to explaining
> consciousness from physics...not even necessarily fundamental physics.

That explain 1/2 of the mind. That explains why we can attribute consciousness
to our peers, but that fail to explain how my first person experience is
contrived by this physical reality.

You have to explain what in the physical universe is capable of selecting the
computations (arithmetical notion). If that thing is Turing emulable, then the
physical cannot play a role, if it is not Turing emulable, then I am OK, but
out of my working hypothesis. The whole point is that this is testable, and
today, only mechanism get a coherent relation between quanta and qualia
(physics usually does not address that question, and physicalism has put the
qualia question under the rug of its ontological commitment, made without any
evidence).

>> It is the hard part of the matter problem, when we understand that with
>> mechanism, the everything is no more that the sigma_1 arithmetical reality,
>> which I think everyone believe in, except the ultra-intuitionist.
>>
>> Brent seemed to have understood this once, but seems to forget it recently
>> apparently.
>>
>> If someone believe in a primal physical universe *and* in the survive of
>> consciousness through the digital transformation, it is up to them to
>> explain how the primal universe (and what is it?) acts on arithmetic for
>> making some computations seems more real than others.
>>
>> I claim nothing, except that mechanism and materialism are incompatible, and
>> that the mind-body problem is reduced into deriving physics from the
>> “material” variants of machine’s ideal rational believability/justifiability.
>
> Or why fewer than all arithmetical relations are realized in physics.

No, that is already explained by the difference between the eight
phenomenological modes of self-references. The believable, knowable and
observable obeys different logics which structure the arithmetical reality in
completely different ways. Physics is a completely different mathematics than
psychology.
Arithmetical relations are not realised in physics. Physics is more like a
classifier of relative dreams in arithmetic.

Bruno