goldenfieldquaterni...@gmail.com>:

> On Tuesday, May 29, 2018 at 1:25:19 PM UTC-5, Brent wrote:
>>

>> You miss my point that no one, no physicists, no philosopher, starts out
>> by defining "primary matter".  It is your invention as a straw man to be
>> defeated by computationalism.  Some physicists and some philosophers may
>> suppose that the stuff described by physics is enough to explain the world
>> we observe; but most also suppose that it is not "primary".  They look for
>> a deeper more unified ur-stuff and many physicists have followed Wheeler
>> and Tegmark in thinking of the equations of mathematical physics as simply
>> defining the ur-stuff.
>>
>> Brent
>>

> This and other old philosophical ideas are of no utility in physics. There
> is no physical meaning to terms such as primary matter.

Primary matter is a metaphysical idea about the reality... so of course it
is of no utility in physics... but physics don't tell us anything about
what is reality.

Everythingism are metaphysical idea about what is reality... so if your
concern is only in utility, philosophy doesn't concern you...

Materialism, physicalim, computationalism, deism etc are metaphysical,
philosophical and about what reality is... physics is about prediction on
the reality, not about what ultimately reality is... it answers how, not
what and why...

The problem is with people equating physics whith physicalism... they're
not the same, one is a metaphysical idea about the nature of reality.

Quentin

>  LC

All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. (Roy
Batty/Rutger Hauer)