On 6/20/2018 9:48 PM, Jason Resch wrote:

On Tue, Jun 19, 2018 at 5:24 PM, Brent Meeker <meeke...@verizon.net <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>> wrote:

    On 6/19/2018 7:10 AM, Jason Resch wrote:

    On Tue, Jun 19, 2018 at 12:21 AM, Brent Meeker
    <meeke...@verizon.net <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>> wrote:

        On 6/18/2018 4:27 AM, Jason Resch wrote:

        On Sun, Jun 17, 2018 at 9:57 PM, Brent Meeker
        <meeke...@verizon.net <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>> wrote:

            On 6/17/2018 4:43 AM, Telmo Menezes wrote:

                On 17 June 2018 at 13:26,  <agrayson2...@gmail.com
                <mailto:agrayson2...@gmail.com>> wrote:

                    On Sunday, June 17, 2018 at 10:15:05 AM UTC,
                    Jason wrote:

                        On Sun, Jun 17, 2018 at 12:12 AM,
                        <agrays...@gmail.com
                        <mailto:agrays...@gmail.com>> wrote:

                              why do you prefer the MWI compared to
                            the Transactional Interpretation?
                            I see both as absurd. so I prefer to
                            assume the wf is just epistemic, and/or
                            that we have some holes in the CI which
                            have yet to be resolved. AG

                            --

                        1. It's the simplest theory: "MWI" is just
                        the Schrodinger equation,

                        2. It explains more while assuming less (it
                        explains the appearance of
                        collapse, without having to assume it, thus
                        is preferred by Occam's razor)

                        3. Like every other successful physical
                        theory, it is linear, reversible
                        (time-symmetric), continuous, deterministic
                        and does not require faster than
                        light influences nor retrocausalities

                        4. Unlike single-universe or epistemic
                        interpretations, "WF is real" with
                        MWI is the only way we know how to explain
                        the functioning of quantum
                        computers (now up to 51 qubits)

                        5. Unlike copenhagen-type theories, it
                        attributes no special physical
                        abilities to observers or measurement devices

                        6. Most of all, theories of everything that
                        assume a reality containing
                        all possible observers and observations lead
                        directly to laws/postulates of
                        quantum mechanics (see Russell Standish's
                        Theory of Nothing, Chapter 7 and
                        Appendix D).

                        Given #6, we should revise our view. It is
                        not MWI and QM that should
                        convince us of many worlds, but rather the
                        assumption of many worlds (an
                        infinite and infinitely varied reality) that
                        gives us, and explains all the
                        weirdness of QM. This should overwhelmingly
                        convince us of MWI-type
                        everything theories over any single-universe
                        interpretation of quantum
                        mechanics, which is not only absurd, but
                        completely devoid of explanation.
                        With the assumption of a large reality, QM
                        is made explainable and
                        understandable: as a theory of observation
                        within an infinite reality.

                        Jason

                    You forgot #7. It asserts multiple, even
                    infinite copies of an observer,
                    replete with memories, are created when an
                    observer does a simple quantum
                    experiment. So IMO the alleged "cure" is
                    immensely worse than the disease,
                    CI, that is, just plain idiotic. AG

                It is important to make the distinction between our
                intuition and
                common sense and actual formal reasoning. The former
                can guide the
                latter very successfully, but the history of science
                teaches us that
                this is not always the case. You don't provide an
                argument, you just
                present your gut feeling as if it were the same
                thing as irrefutable
                fact.

            I think Scott Aaronson has the right attitude toward this:

            https://www.scottaaronson.com/blog/?p=326
            <https://www.scottaaronson.com/blog/?p=326>

        As such a strong believer in quantum computers (he's staked
        $100,000 of his own money on the future construction of
        large scale quantum computers), I would love to ask Scott
        Aaronson what he thinks about running a conscious AI on such
        a quantum computer.  That trivially leads to "many worlds"
        at least as seen by that AI.

        If it's so trivial maybe you can explain it.

    1. A quantum computer is isolated from the environment so as to
    remain in a super position of many possible states.
    2. Quantum computers are Turing universal, anything that can be
    programmed on a classical computer can be programmed on a quantum
    computer
    3. Assuming Computational Theory of mind, a quantum computer can
    execute the same conscious program as "Brent Meeker's Brain"
    4. The quantum computer can be arranged to entangle an unmeasured
    particle with Brent Meeker's quantum brain emulation,
    a) by feeding in spin up as an auditory tone in Brent Meeker's
    left auditory nerve
    b) by feeding in spin down as an auditory tone in Brent Meeker's
    right auditory nerve
    5. The quantum brain simulation, being isolated from the
    environment, remains in a super position of the Brent Meeker
    brain emulation hearing an auditory tone in his left and right ears.

    You can repeat this process 30 times, with 30 different
    measurements of different electrons, and end up with over 1
    billion Brent Meeker brain emulations, each remembering a
    different pattern of auditory tones.

    For the Brent Meeker quantum brain emulation, many worlds is
    definitely true.

    No.  If decoherence occurs when there a many degrees of freedom in
    which to disperse entanglements then my brain is plenty big enough
    to decohere the signal; and you seem to assume this when supposing
    that I form different memories.  Otherwise I wouldn't form any
    definite memory, my memory would merely exist in a superposition
    of a billion different patterns.

That is the whole point of (and difficulty) of making a quantum computer. Its qubits must remain isolated from the rest of the environment such that it does not decohere while it is computing something.  You seem to be postulating some upperbound on how large quantum computers can get.  This is the exact thing Scott Aaronson has staked $100K on (that large scale quantum computers /can/ be built), which is why I find his antipathy towards MWI so paradoxical.  If they can be built, then we can create many-experiences by running an AI emulation on a quantum computer, where some of the qubit registers are prepared in an undetermined state.

How will you know it has many experiences?  It won't be able to say what they are.  It won't be able to act intelligently in more than one world.  Scott also notes that quantum computers solve problems by having destructive interference zero out the probability of incorrect solutions...which means computation all happens in the same world.