On Thu, Jun 21, 2018 at 7:26 PM, Brent Meeker <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

> [...]
>>> such that it does not decohere while it is computing something.  You seem
>>> to be postulating some upperbound on how large quantum computers can get.
>>> This is the exact thing Scott Aaronson has staked $100K on (that large
>>> scale quantum computers *can* be built), which is why I find his
>>> antipathy towards MWI so paradoxical.  If they can be built, then we can
>>> create many-experiences by running an AI emulation on a quantum computer,
>>> where some of the qubit registers are prepared in an undetermined state.
>>>

>>> How will you know it has many experiences?
>>>

>> If computationalism is true (which Aarson has defended), it will have an
>> experience.
>>

>> An experience is not many experiences.  And what does computationalism
>> mean; it gets used sloppily on this list, sometimes meaning only that
>> "saying yes to the doctor" is justified, other times meaning that Bruno's
>> whole theory is true?
>>

> By computationalism, I mean there exists a computation that if
> performed/implemented by any machine, it is sufficient to instantiate a
> given conscious experience.
>
> By the way, I e-mailed Scott Aaronson asking about the thought experiment
> I gave above regarding running a conscious AI/brain emulation on a quantum
> computer that enters a superposition, and just got a reply.
>
> He said that he agrees that if consciousness is inherent to a particular
> computation (including a computation restricted to only one branch of the
> wave function), and if large-scale quantum computers are possible, then you
> could have a superposition of different conscious experiments and this
> appears to force one to a many-worlds picture. He said he has made this
> same point before in some of his blog posts and writings.
>
> What he thought what least clear from my proposed thought experiment
> concerned what is necessary for a conscious computation, and gave the
> examples of alternate theories of consciousness which required coherence,
> or irreversibility, for example.
>
> However, I think from a plain "computational theory of mind", which is
> free from any quantum mechanical/physical definitions, he is in general
> agreement that Computationalism + Quantum computers large enough to run
> conscious programs, yields many-worlds.
>

>>> It won't be able to say what they are.
>>>

>> Sure it can, within its virtual reality it can say or do anything.
>> Whether or not it can tell us what it sees is another question.  I would
>> say if we decide to cause the quantum computer to decohere and entangle
>> ourselves with its state, we will hear what it is saying (but in each
>> branch we will hear it say only one thing).
>>

>> Exactly my point.
>>

> But if those other computations (which we know must exist, as they are
> necessary to explain the functioning of quantum computers) to say they are
> not conscious is to abandon Computationalism.
>

> I don't think that follows.  I think consciousness (and thought in

We are talking about classical computations through. (The same form that
classical computers implement).  The only difference is, we are using a
quantum computer to perform those classical computations in parallel.

>   So a superposition of different computations would only be a bunch of
> parallel consciousnesses (which I think Scott discounts) if each existed in
> a parallel classical world.

I am not sure I follow what you are saying here. I agree a super position
of different computations would only be a bunch of parallel
consciousnesses.  (Scott seemed to agree this would be the result under
standard computationalism, but might not under some non-standard form of
computationalism that additionally required some necessary bit of
physicalism--I would call this physicalism rather than computationalism).

> But in that case only one could communicate with us.

Well, unless we too decide to join the superposition (which I argue we do
when the quantum computer decoheres).  Again, no one consciousness gets to
interview all the others (beyond whatever interference might permit).

>>>   It won't be able to act intelligently in more than one world.  Scott
>>> also notes that quantum computers solve problems by having destructive
>>> interference zero out the probability of incorrect solutions...which means
>>> computation all happens in the same world.
>>>

>> That is when quantum computers are used to obtain a single definite
>> result in all branches. This is what can make quantum computers more
>> powerful.  But I am not using this, I am merely riding off the quantum
>> computer's ability to maintain a large scale superposition by virtue of a
>> quantum computer's ability to remain isolated from its environment while it
>> computes what it does.
>>

>> But then it doesn't actually compute anything.  In the words of
>> Schroedinger it is jellified.
>>

> It must have computed that trace, and by computationalism, that execution
> trace in that branch must have been conscious.  You can't explain quantum
> computers without assuming those executions in the other branches all exist.
>
> *Unless* you think wave function collapse has the power to delete an
> *already-had* experience out of existence,
>

> No, I'm saying there is no experience except classical experiences...we
> never experience superpositions.

Each branch of the superposition represents a classical computation. Are
you saying this computation doesn't exist, or that a computation can only
be conscious if it is constantly interacting with its environment?  If I
isolate my laptop computer from the rest of the environment for a few hours
while it works on some problem, and then check it after it is done, will it
not still have computed the expected result?  Do you reject the reality of
the intermediate steps of the computation?

> In the real world "collapse" is continuous except in carefully contrived
> experiments.  Those other branches exist in a quantum computer because they
> interfere, all in this world and produce one classical result.  I see no
> reason to suppose there is any experience apart from classical results.

Either you reject the reality and efficacy of the intermediate per-branch
computations (which is an anti-realist position that fails to explain how
quantum computers can produce final results, if the intermediate per-branch
computational states don't compute what they're supposed to such that they
interfere correctly at the end to yield the expected result)

Or you are rejecting computationalism and replacing it with your own
theory, which says, conventional computation is insufficient.  Only a
computation performed by a physical computer that frequently (how
frequently?) interacts with its environment (how big does the environment
need to be, how do you define where the computer ends and the environment
begins?) can be conscious.  This theory seems a bit ad hoc, and whose sole
motivation is to zombify the AIs in the branches of the quantum computer.

>   That's one on my complaints about Bruno's step 8 "proof", he claims to
> have shown computationalism inconsistent with materialism.  But it only
> seems that way because he ignores the necessity of having a whole physical
> environment to have experience in.  But then you recognize that the
> physical world is a necessary component and must exist to make
> computationalism meaningful.

I will let Bruno reply to this, but I think we need to be very careful
about the subtle role physics plays.  To be clear Bruno does not reject the
existence of a physical reality, but  says its existence is made a theorem
in arithmetic and becomes a necessary role in relating experiences between
different machines.
There is also the difference between the appearance of the physical world
and the infinity of computations below us competing with each other in that
appearance.  If we look at the Boltzmann bran computations, some of those
are larger programs that may contain many conscious sub-computations, and
if in one of those computations we build a computer which itself manifests
as a sub-routine of that larger computation you could say we have realized
a new conscious entity.  But is conscious computation exists as
arithmetical computations, and appears infinitely often in the UD, so we
should not confuse a local incarnation of a computation with the observer,
whose future experiences are not bound to the evolution of the
locally-realized computation.  I think this is why Bruno says we cannot
physically create an observer, only locally instantiate one relatively to
us. But the two forms: the single deterministic machine instantiation, and
the observers first person point of view supported by infinite
computations, remain distinct.

> out of the past, in a manner such that it never existed, and we were wrong
> to believe that it ever did exist.  But this seems magical to me.
>

> I know.  But having worlds coming into existence on a continuum seems just
> fine.

So you reject QM on that basis?

Jason