On 7/27/2018 1:58 PM, Quentin Anciaux wrote:

Le ven. 27 juil. 2018 à 22:48, Brent Meeker <meeke...@verizon.net <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>> a écrit :

    On 7/27/2018 11:21 AM, Quentin Anciaux wrote:

    Le ven. 27 juil. 2018 à 20:18, Brent Meeker <meeke...@verizon.net
    <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>> a écrit :

        On 7/26/2018 11:31 PM, Quentin Anciaux wrote:

        Le ven. 27 juil. 2018 à 00:10, <agrayson2...@gmail.com
        <mailto:agrayson2...@gmail.com>> a écrit :

            On Thursday, July 26, 2018 at 9:59:49 PM UTC, stathisp
            wrote:

                On Fri, 27 Jul 2018 at 2:08 am,
                <agrays...@gmail.com> wrote:

                    On Thursday, July 26, 2018 at 11:30:11 AM UTC,
                    agrays...@gmail.com wrote:

                        On Thursday, July 26, 2018 at 11:24:42 AM
                        UTC, Quentin Anciaux wrote:

                            I still don't get it why some people
                            prefer insulting other people and their
                            ideas instead of discussing or just stay
                            with their own thoughts and just say
                            they disagree... What do you gain by
                            saying they are insane, stupid or whatever?

                            It just looks to me childish. So stop
                            doing this, stop writing in 70pt size
                            red fonts... It's a disfavor to your
                            arguments.

                            Quentin

                        In fact, I DO think it's a mental illness. AG

                    It's not just wrong, but a gross dysfunction of
                    judgment. Joe the Plumber goes into a lab or his
                    closet, shoots a single electron at a slit, and
                    by so doing creates uncountable universes, all
                    with copies of himself, replete with his
                    memories. Sure. AG

                You may as well protest on the same basis that the
                universe can’t be so wastefully large.

            I don't see how that follows. Unfortunately, one cannot
            PROVE that the many worlds allegedly implied by the MWI
            interpretation don't exist, which is why I insist the
            True Believers are judgment impaired. Do you really
            believe that trivial actions by mere humans, accidents
            of evolution, can create entire universes? AG.

        No, because that's not what happens, at every interactions,
        universes split/differentiate... Humans or not.

        I think that's a misleading way to look at it.  First, the
        vector in Hilbert space representing the state of the
        universe just rotates around. It never "splits".  What we
        refer to as "splitting" is the projection onto a plane in the
        Hilbert space that corresponds to a certain "classical"
        world. Second, this "classical" world plane is not sharply
        defined.  Almost all interactions do not make any difference
        to it, i.e. they only make Planck sized changes to the action
        and correspondingly tiny tilts to the projective plane.  The
        myriad atomic interactions in your body don't make any
        classical difference.

    Yet if QM is the theory of reality, there is no classical world
    that exists ontologicaly... So makes no difference to who, what?

    That the ontology of the world is quantum is a theory. The theory
    is derived from and supported by evidence which is stuff
    experienced by you and me.  Our experience of the world is
    "classical" (notice I used scare quotes, as I did above).  Bohr
    was right when he observed that science and knowledge are only
    possible in a "classical" world; a world in which records exist
    and observers can agree on them and we do not observe macroscopic
    superpositions.

If QM is reality, microscopic change are parallel realities even if your conscious state is compatible, span over them...Hence computationalism.

*IF* QM is reality...or is it just our best current model of reality.  That's part of my point.  Ontologies come from theories, which come from epistemology.