> On 20 Aug 2018, at 21:20, Brent Meeker <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
>

> On 8/20/2018 11:42 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
>>
>>> On 20 Aug 2018, at 19:55, Brent Meeker <meeke...@verizon.net
>>> <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>> wrote:

>>> Because your argument was that matter cannot account for the mental.
>>

>> When we assume compationalism. Yes. In that case consciousness is associated
>> with a digital self-referential entity which cannot distinguish a “bottom”
>> (primary) physical reality from an arithmetical reality
>
> But you didn't show that.  You only showed that it would be true if the
> digital entity were immersed in an environment.

Then put the digital rendering of the environment in the entity. If you cannot
do that, then you assume something infinite, or magical, in the environment,
and computationalism is false.

> You argued that the environment could also be digital…

No. The physical real environment will be given by the First Person
indeterminacy (FPI) on all digital continuations in arithmetic. That is not
susceptible of complete digital emulation.

> but the doctor couldn't provide that.  But then your argument fails.

Because you introduce some “God” (primary matter, or a unique Turing machine
for the universe, like in digital physics) in the picture. Your argument is
like rejecting evolution because the theory is unable to explain how God made
all this in six day.

> You've only shown that the digital entity can exist in a digital environment
> consisting of digital matter (including the entities digital brain).

Digital matter? You lost me. The argument is done by step, you might explain
where you disagree specifically. If you feel a need for some metaphysical
assumption, like the primary existence of a physical universe, it is up to you
to explain its role in consciousness. But that role will have to refer not only
to a non digitally emulable reality, but also to a non FPI recoverable reality.

> So you've just replicated the world except you've appended "digital" in front
> of every noun and relation.

Come on Brent, I insist that this make no sense at all once we postulate
mechanism. There is no digital universe, nor digital matter. Only numbers or
combinators.

>   If everything is digital,

99,9999999998 % of the arithmetical reality is not digitally emulable. Only
brain and computers are digital with mechanism. Our body are not. That is how
the non cloning can be proved from mechanism. No piece of matter at all could
ever be simulated by a computer.

> then digital matter may be primary in this digital world.

There is no digital matter with mechanism.

> The adjective "digital" has lost it's metaphysical significance...unless you
> can derive some observable consequence of "digital”.

The consequence of the brain being digitally emulable at some relevant level
entails that matter obeys the laws of the formal mathematics of Z1 and Z1* (and
others). That gives a quantum logic verified by nature up to now. To assume a
primary physical universe, alien, or any gods, is premature, and should be done
in last resorts.

Bruno