On 8/20/2018 2:02 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

On 19 Aug 2018, at 21:23, Brent Meeker <meeke...@verizon.net <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>> wrote:

On 8/19/2018 2:58 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

On 17 Aug 2018, at 21:27, Brent Meeker <meeke...@verizon.net <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>> wrote:

On 8/17/2018 2:01 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

On 16 Aug 2018, at 20:50, Brent Meeker <meeke...@verizon.net <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>> wrote:

On 8/16/2018 3:24 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

On 15 Aug 2018, at 21:33, Brent Meeker <meeke...@verizon.net <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>> wrote:

On 8/15/2018 2:52 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
And you have not recovered the quantitative aspect of the quantum structure,
I did at the propositional level, which is enough to have the quantum logic. It
is richer than the quantum logic of the physicians, so this predicts new things.

What are they?

The consequence of the Löb’s formula translated in the quantum logical terms. Those are long and ugly formula, still beyond the reach of my (old) theorem prover.

So they are not testable.

?

Some are testable and tested, and some are not *yet* derived, and thus not tested, but they are testable of course. Not sure how you arrive at your conclusion.

because you have not defined a measure on the computations of the UD.
Not yet, but I am willing to hear some constructive suggestion to progress.

Then how can you claim to have recovered quantum mechanics if you cannot even define a probability amplitude that is linear?

Because I have recovered enough to classify those logics as quantum logic.

That's a far cry from quantum mechanics.

But the UDA shows that if we don’t get quantum mechanics, it has to be false, or mechanism is false. The whole point is that we can test this.

The goal is to get a coherent picture in the computationalist frame. Physicalism is *already* refuted.

No.  It is only your version of physicalism that is refuted.  The assumption that what is physical cannot account for what is mental because the mental is substrate independent and therefore is independent of all substrate.  The last doesn't follow.

What is a substrate?

Supporting material.

That is short. Arithmetic supports material (appearances), but here you seem to say that a substrate would support some primary matter. The physical accounts for the Material in non physicalist theories too. It is just that the “material” appears to be a mode of the observable, definable from self-reference.

How you test its primary existence?

Whether it's existence is primary or not is irrelevant.

But then why criticise my use of it against physicalism?

Because your argument was that matter cannot account for the mental.   That question is independent of whether matter or thought or arithmetic or whatever is fundamental.

Your argument seems to be that computationalism implies that thoughts can be instantiated by many different material events (e.g. cosmic rays striking neurons, a record) therefore a thought is characterized by something independent of matter and it can be instantiated in the immaterial relations of languages, e.g. arithmetic, combinatorics,...  But that is a cheat because "characterized" =/="instantiated".   Anything can be characterized in language.  That fits very well with this list which was started by people who liked the idea of everything and anything from a philosophical perspective because it excused them from explaining why this rather than that.  But explaining why this rather than that is exactly what is science's job.