On Monday, October 15, 2018 at 8:50:57 PM UTC-5, Brent wrote:

> The "separation" of science from religion was the invention of science as
> a way of knowing what was fact and what was superstition.  Science was
> testing beliefs and holding them only provisionally.
>
> Brent

They had myths. We have models.

"As an empiricist I continue to think of the conceptual scheme of science
as a tool, ultimately, for predicting future experience in the light of
past experience. Physical objects are conceptually imported into the
situation as convenient intermediaries -- not by definition in terms of
experience, but simply as irreducible posits comparable, epistemologically,
to the gods of Homer. Let me interject that for my part I do, qua lay
physicist, believe in physical objects and not in Homer's gods; and I
consider it a scientific error to believe otherwise. *But in point of
epistemological footing the physical objects and the gods differ only in
degree and not in kind. Both sorts of entities enter our conception only as
cultural posits.* The myth of physical objects is epistemologically
superior to most in that it has proved more efficacious than other myths as
a device for working a manageable structure into the flux of experience."
-- Willard Van Orman Quine

"It's models almost all the way up and all the way down."
-- Ronald Giere

- pt