On Tuesday, December 11, 2018 at 5:41:49 AM UTC-6, Bruno Marchal wrote:

> On 11 Dec 2018, at 12:11, Philip Thrift <cloud...@gmail.com <javascript:>>
> wrote:
>

> Nothing is "confirmed" and "made precise".
>
> (Derrida, Rorty, …)
>

> That would make Derrida and Rorty into obscurantism. Confirmation does not
> make an idea true, but it is better than nothing, once we postulate some
> reality.
>
> Some “philosophies” prevents the scientific attitude, like some
> “religions” do, although only when they are used for that purpose.  Some
> philosophies vindicate  their lack of rigour into a principle. That leads
> to relativisme, and obscurantism. It looks nice as anyone can defend any
> idea, but eventually it hurts in front of the truth.
>
> Bruno

Have you read some of the Opinions* or watched some of the (youtube)
lectures of Rutgers math professor Doron Zeilberger?

I've been following him like forever.

* e.g.

   - *Mathematics is so useful because physical scientists and engineers
   have the good sense to largely ignore the "religious" fanaticism of
   professional mathematicians, and their insistence on so-called rigor, that
   in many cases is misplaced and hypocritical, since it is based on "axioms"
   that are completely fictional, i.e. those that involve the so-called
   infinity.*
   -

- pt