> [...]
>>> only be true if the universe was infinite unbounded and homogeneous in both
>>> space and time, and that is the best definition of "nothing" that I know of.

>>> I think it is a reasonable assumption but please note you are already
>>> assuming the existence of time, otherwise the past and future you speak of
>>> would have no meaning and it's not even clear what you mean by "stop".

>>> If it's not a change in experience with respect to time what is it with
>>> respect to? The only alternative is a change in experience with respect to
>>> space, but such a move would take time.
>>>
>>> John K Clark
>>>

>>> Computations "exist" in the universe of numbers in the same way that the
>>> Incredible Hulk "exists" in the universe of Marvel comics.
>>>

>>> Great quotable!
>>

>> Then you, or Clark, should explain why Hulk is not taught in all primary
>> school on he planet, like elementary arithmetic is. May be we should ask all
>> physicists, economist and bankers as well, to use Hulk instead of the
>> numbers, when they share their results.
>>
>> Do you agree that x^3 + y^3 + z^3 = 33 does admit or not a solution? Do the
>> term “open problem” makes sense? Ca you give me an open problem about Hulk?
>>
>> Bruno
>>

>> I think there are "open questions" in the comic universes:
>>
>> There are many open questions surrounding Avengers: Infinity War. A film
>> that brings together all facets of the Marvel Cinematic Universe has a lot
>> to live up to. Even after the credits roll there are still many open
>> questions that will keep fans theorizing until the still-unnamed Avengers 4
>> is released next year. Without further ado, let us take a look at a few
>> unanswered questions that will haunt us until next year after witnessing the
>> aftermath of Thanos’ journey to gather the Infinity Stones.
>>
>> https://mcuexchange.com/q-unanswered-questions-infinity-war/
>> <https://mcuexchange.com/q-unanswered-questions-infinity-war/>
>
> I don’t think you are serious, here, but I will still explain.
>
> The difference is this. When the problem about “x^3 + y^3 + z^3 = 33” is
> solved, all good willing people will agree, and that will not be debatable.
> Of course, if the solution is negative, (or even positive but with gigantic
> numbers), it might take some time to be really convinced, but the point is
> that the answer is definitely yes or no, despite being currently unknown.
>
> For the comic, there is no "open problem" at all. To use “open problem” here
> is just a metaphorical way to describe the impatience for the next episode.
> And everyone can imagine many “solutions” to that “open problem”, without any
> clear criteria of verification capable of deciding this. Nothing kicks back
> there, except emotionally for those entertained by the art and the legends.
>
> To compare mathematics with fiction is like to compare the bible with
> cosmology. It makes no sense. They belong to quite different realm of inquiry.

Sure. We can attribute fictionalism in math to Goethe, and many poet.

> It's just something many do not accept: Mathematics is a type of fiction.

Because it is obviously wrong for arithmetic. Then indeed we can argue that
analysis and physics are a type of fiction, provably so if we assume Mechanist
in the cognitive science (not in physics).

> (But of course there is a lot to consider and variations within that
> perspective, hence many people have contributed to the subject.)

Yes, in the fundamental matter, many people have many ideas, but that does not
make them more convincing. In what sense could the true proposition asserting
that 103 is divisible only by 1 and 103 be fiction? And what is “not fiction”?
The moon? Fermion and bosons? If that is the case, fictionalism is only
disguised physicalism.

> The label ‘fictionalism’ suggests a comparison of mathematics with literary
> fiction, and although the fictionalist may wish to draw only the minimal
> comparison that both mathematics and fiction can be good without being true,
> fictionalists may also wish to develop this analogy in further dimensions,
> for example by drawing on discussions of the semantics of fiction, or on how
> fiction can represent.

Semantics of fiction belongs to the semantics of natural language. But to make
mathematics into a fiction just looks like playing with word, and (worst)
assuming that something is not fiction. What is it? Matter? If it is Matter, it
is just the old theology of Aristotle, imposed to almost everyone since 529. I
am agnostic on Matter, but I have never seen any evidence for it. I see only
evidences against it, both from theoretical computationalist
psychology/theology, and from physics itself.

> Before turning to these issues, though, this article considers what the
> literal truth of a sentence uttered in the context of mathematical inquiry
> would amount to, so as to understand the position that fictionalists wish to
> reject.
>
> https://www.iep.utm.edu/mathfict/
>

> It is also important to note that fictionalism in mathematics does not mean
> that ‘anything goes’.
> Authors of mathematical theories, like writers of good literary fiction, are
> not free to develop
> their fiction in any way they please. For a start, consistency is usually
> thought to be strongly
> desirable. Beyond that, there are also requirements not to introduce
> unnecessary items. In good
> mathematics, like good literary fiction, posited entities contribute to the
> story. But perhaps the
> greatest constraint on writing mathematical fiction is that the latest
> installment must be consistent
> with all previous installments. Previous generations of mathematicians
> introduced such
> “characters” as sets, functions, natural numbers and so on.

I have no problem to consider sets as phenomenological, in the mind of the
numbers, but the numbers themselves (or any Turing universal machinery), that
makes no “interesting” sense, as it will be a way to say that physics study
reality, and not mathematics. It is just a provocative way to side with the
today-ultraconventional thinking in metaphysics (materialism).

> The current generation of
> mathematicians must develop these “characters” in ways that are consistent
> with what went
> before. It is as though current mathematicians are all contributing to a
> multi-authored series of
> books. Just as Tolkien was heavily constrained in the last book in The Lord
> of the Rings trilogy
> by what went before in The Hobbit and the previous two books in The Lord of
> the Rings series, so
> too modern mathematicians cannot develop the fiction of mathematics in any
> way they please.

Making it quite real to me.

> http://www.colyvan.com/papers/fictionalism.pdf

It assumes a physical “real” universe. It takes for granted a nominalist
account of mathematics.

Frankly it is simplet to explain the illusion of the moon to a number, than to
explain the illusion of numbers to primary matter (usually considered as
“inert”).

2+2=4 is not fiction. If you doubt that, as I said, your tax inspector will
remind it to you.

Mathematics is immaterial, but it makes no sense to say it is fiction, unless
deciding that Aristotle is true and Plato is wrong, but I would need some
evidences for this, which are literally never given.

Bruno