On 12/22/2018 1:42 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

On 21 Dec 2018, at 03:22, Bruce Kellett <bhkellet...@gmail.com <mailto:bhkellet...@gmail.com>> wrote:

On Fri, Dec 21, 2018 at 1:03 PM Jason Resch <jasonre...@gmail.com <mailto:jasonre...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    On Thu, Dec 20, 2018 at 7:05 PM Bruce Kellett
    <bhkellet...@gmail.com <mailto:bhkellet...@gmail.com>> wrote:

        On Fri, Dec 21, 2018 at 11:45 AM Jason Resch
        <jasonre...@gmail.com <mailto:jasonre...@gmail.com>> wrote:

            1. It is a prediction of eternal inflation and string theory.

        String theory and its "landscape" are very speculative, and
        unlikely to have any relation to the real world -- there is
        no evidence that string theory is even a coherent theory!
        Eternal inflation, although popular, is only one possibility
        for inflation, and even inflationary theory itself is not
        well-established science.

    I agree they are speculative, but they are on the side many many
    universes.
    Meanwhile there is no evidence for "the only universe that exists
    is the one I can see".

The universe we see is the only one for which we have any concrete evidence, and that evidence is indubitable.

That is of course a strong evidence for a physical reality, but unless we buy the Aristotelian theology, “seeing” is not an evidence for a metaphysical reality.

That's sort of redefining what is meant by "reality".

I think the whole problem is here:  a confusion for the evidence for physics with an evidence for a metaphysics. This has worked for 1500 years, only by terror, violence, and then habits, and the constant hiding of the (mind-body) problem under the rug (notably through “fairy tales”).

Physics is the evidence for metaphysics, i.e. metaphysics is about physics, it seeks to explain why the world, including physics, is what it is.

Brent

Physics is a wonderful science, but to make physics systematically, without argument nor evidence,  into a metaphysics is a form of “modern” charlatanism, when made consciously, and still a form of obscurantism when done by ignorance. With science, doubts are mandatory.