On Monday, December 24, 2018 at 9:29:16 AM UTC-6, Mason Green wrote:

> David Deutsch suggested something like this I (that individual universes
> are discrete, but the multiverse as a whole is continuous).
>
> “within each universe all observable quantities are discrete, but the
> multiverse as a whole is a continuum. When the equations of quantum theory
> describe a continuous but not-directly-observable transition between two
> values of a discrete quantity, what they are telling us is that the
> transition does not take place entirely within one universe. So perhaps the
> price of continuous motion is not an infinity of consecutive actions, but
> an infinity of concurrent actions taking place across the multiverse.”
> January, 2001 The Discrete and the Continuous

So this (multiverse substrate) allows the universe to be a "continuous
computer"?

*Finding the best model for continuous computation*
http://www.math.harvard.edu/theses/senior/resnick/resnick.pdf

Abstract.
* While the theory of computability over countable sets is well defined and
flexible, the definition of computability over continuous sets (e.g. the
real numbers), without the fortification provided by the Church-Turing
Thesis, is much more contentious. Since Turing’s introduction of a
universal device for computation over countable sets (the “universal Turing
Machine”), several demonstrably non-equivalent formalizations of the
intuitive notion of continuous (alternately: analog) computation, and more
specifically, computation over the real numbers, have been proposed. None
of these is yet accepted by the majority of mathematicians, and, as a
result, the contemporary landscape of research into continuous computation
is factional. I will present and compare several of dominant theories of
continuous computation, including techniques from recursive analysis and
the Blum-Smale-Shub model.*

- pt