On Wednesday, January 2, 2019 at 12:18:50 PM UTC, Bruno Marchal wrote:

> On 30 Dec 2018, at 18:56, agrays...@gmail.com <javascript:> wrote:
>

> On Sunday, December 30, 2018 at 12:10:12 PM UTC, Bruno Marchal wrote:
>>

>> > On 24 Dec 2018, at 16:29, Mason Green <mason...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > David Deutsch suggested something like this I (that individual
>> universes are discrete, but the multiverse as a whole is continuous).
>> >
>> > “within each universe all observable quantities are discrete, but the
>> multiverse as a whole is a continuum. When the equations of quantum theory
>> describe a continuous but not-directly-observable transition between two
>> values of a discrete quantity, what they are telling us is that the
>> transition does not take place entirely within one universe. So perhaps the
>> price of continuous motion is not an infinity of consecutive actions, but
>> an infinity of concurrent actions taking place across the multiverse.”
>> January, 2001 The Discrete and the Continuous
>>
>> This is consistent with Digital Mechanism, and plausibly mandatory too.
>> The computations evolves discretly, vertically in the universal
>> computational deployment (the tiny sigma_1 arithmetic), but the first
>> person indeterminacy is horizontal and takes into account infinitely many
>> computations. But the precise topology and cardinality remains open
>> problems.
>>
>> Bruno
>>

> *Applying this to a horse race, one not only gets dIscrete multiple
> universes, **one for each horse as the winner,*
>

> Why? I don’t see this. Horses could be classical machine, in which case
> the same horse is the winner in all, or quasi-all universes.

*You believe that everything that's possible to happen, must happen; ergo
Many Worlds. Horses are classical objects, so you can reject this example
of the fallacy in your thinking by modeling a situation with similar
outcomes in a quantum setting. AG *

> * but assuming space is continuous, an additional uncountable set of
> universes for each winner, where the losers have different positions when
> the winner crosses the finish end line. This is not only beautiful. but
> utterly sublime. Wouldn't you agree? AG *
>

> Yes, the multiplication would occur (assuming space continuous). But the
> same horse would still be the winner, except perhaps if two horses are so
> close that in some universe another one wins the race, due to that location
> superposition. Yet, if the horse behaves classically, with respect to their
> muscular force and strategy, the winner will be the same in some majority
> (say) of worlds. That is a good thing, as it makes it possible for large
> creature to have a partial control on their destiny, and take a lift
> instead of jumping through a window. Of course such a classical appearance
> have to be explained from the quantum formalism, and with mechanism, such
> quantum formalism has to be justified from the statistics on many
> computations (of all types).

*If you recast the horse race in a quantum context, which shouldn't be too
difficult, you will see that your *bias* that all things which are possible
to happen, MUST happen, leads to an absurdity. Try this; imagine several
electrons fired simultaneously, and the winner is the one which lands at
the positive extremity. No broken legs here, but I think one could massage
this model to include that as well. AG*