On Saturday, January 5, 2019 at 4:26:11 AM UTC-6, Bruno Marchal wrote:

> On 4 Jan 2019, at 17:25, Philip Thrift <cloud...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Physicists today (as I've observed) are not (for the most part) real
> materialists.
>

> That is true, and physicists have rarely problem with the consequence of
> Mechanism. Now, some physicist can be immaterialist, but still physicalist
> (like Tegmark was at some moment at least). The physical reality would be a
> mathematical reality among others, but with computationalism, the physical
> reality comes from a more global mathematical phenomenon based on the
> behaviour/semantics of the material mode of self-rereyence (involving
> probabilities, i.e., for those who have studied the self-referential modes
> available, the []p & X modes, with X being either p, or <>t, or p & <>t).
>
> This makes mechanism testable, and if quantum mechanics did not exist, I
> would have thought that Mechanism is already refuted.
>
> Bruno

"Physicalism"/"Physical" are words that needs deprecating, as they can mean
(to some philosophers of science) "can be reduced to physics", and physics
is what is currently-accepted in the physics scientific community.

(When I use "physical", I mean it in the sense of being "explainable" by
physics.)

It gets worse: "In this entry, I will adopt the policy of using both terms
['materialism' and 'physicalism'] interchangeably, though I will typically
refer to the thesis we will discuss as ‘physicalism’."
https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/physicalism/

Better to just use "materialism" and reject the use of "physicalism"
(unless it refers to a the particular meaning of "can be reduced to
physics"), though materialism has a "weak" and "strong" definition.

Galen Strawson defines what "hard-nosed materialism" is:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvHVo6TslV4

But what exactly would be a "test for Mechanism"?

- pt