On Tue, May 14, 2019, at 00:55, 'Brent Meeker' via Everything List wrote:

> On 5/13/2019 4:18 PM, Telmo Menezes wrote:
>> 3) Or maybe it's "what the brain does", as many physicalists like to say. My
>> body as mass, because the atoms that make up my body amount to that mass.
>> What amounts to my consciousness? What are the building blocks? There is no
>> accounting, there is no description in yours or van Neumann's sense.
>
> But there are models that work. That was my point in citing AI projects like
> Watson

I mention this outside of our main discussion: Watson is mostly IBM marketing
hype for scientifically-illiterate business executives. I say this as an AI
researcher, not an AI-denialist. It does not deserve a place alongside serious
research endeavors in the field. The Jeapordy player was cool, some nice papers
came out of it (I have them and have read them all), but that is about it. The
rest is just a bullshit business brand around cloud-stuff and old-fashioned
business IT.

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3321138/did-ibm-put-too-much-stock-in-watson-health-too-soon.html
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonbloomberg/2017/07/02/is-ibm-watson-a-joke/
https://gizmodo.com/why-everyone-is-hating-on-watson-including-the-people-w-1797510888
https://www.techrepublic.com/article/stop-the-hype-the-real-value-of-ibm-watson-is-driving-small-incremental-business-value/
https://venturebeat.com/2017/06/08/you-can-call-it-hype-but-watson-is-getting-marketers-roi/

Etc.

>  and AlphaGO.

AlphaGO is pretty cool. My feeling is that you are doing with AI what
physicists tend to accuse outsiders to the field of doing with quantum physics:
mysticism. I'm not accusing you of being the Deepak Chopra of AI-mysticism, I
hold you in much higher regard than that, but I think maybe you lack the depth
of understanding to see that there isn't as much there there as you might
assume.

AlphaGO is essentially a minimax decision tree. Go is infamous for leading to
combinatorial explosion even more severely than chess, so decision trees where
considered a no-go for a long time. The genius move here is to train a
feed-forward neural network to prune the tree, providing something akin to
intuition and making the decision tree both tractable and effective against
expert human players. Reinforcement learning was used to train the tree by
having the agents play against themselves (not in the first iteration of
AlphaGO, but I think we can simplify a bit for the purpose of this discussion).

This is all very neat and clever, but nothing was discovered in terms of
computer science that wasn't already well-known in the 1980s. It just so
happens that these approaches finally became feasible due to sufficiently
powerful hardware. Now, this is no small achievement, and I have maximum
respect for the AlphaGO team. But I failed to see what was learned in terms of
how intelligence works, let alone what this has to do with consciousness,
anymore than say, performing some linear algebra with NumPy or whatever.

>  The building blocks are perception, information processing, values, and
> action.

Well, if "perception" is a building block then there is already an implicit
perceiver, so you are begging the question. Reminds me of this joke:

Easy way to make your own megaphone!
You just need:

1- Some duct tape
2- A megaphone

>  You say "there is no accounting" but that's because you're using
> "accounting" as a synonym for "explain". The accounting in scientific theory
> is in terms of a model that works. You're demanding of a theory of
> consciousness that will do for consciousness what general relativity** does
> not do** for the metric or for the stress-energy tensor, what Darwin** did
> not do** for reproduction with variation.

Darwin didn't have the full story, but now the main things are accounted for.
We know how nucleic acids can be sequenced in very long molecules, thus
digitally encoding the shape of proteins, that then fold into 3D shapes
according to the laws of physics and can interact and compose themselves in
ways that eventually generate complex organisms, that can interact to mix their
respective strands of nucleic acids and create incubating environments for new,
similar organisms to be generated.

There are several scientific fields dedicated to the numerous details that I am
glossing over in the silly explanation above.

Under physicalism, for consciounsness, we have nada. Unless we start with the
megaphone.

>  Maybe someday Bruno's theory will yield some interesting prediction (of the
> future), but until then it's a theory doesn't do any work. So far it doesn't
> even account for the effect of holding your breathe too long or ingesting
> LSD.

You know I appreciate Bruno and his work very much, but this is besides the
point here. I am not arguing that Bruno has the answers (or not), just that
physicalism accomplishes nothing that idealism does not, and in fact seems to
lead to a dead end when it comes to consciousness. I am not even arguing that
idealism provides the answers. I am just insisting on our ignorance, and I find
it bizarre that scientifically-minded people such as you will be so reluctant
to admit it.

>  The physical model that says consciousness is the brain processing
> information by neuron's firing at synapses...a very successful model.

Successful at doing what?

>  But the mysterians of consciousness

This is something I really have a hard time understanding. We might disagree on
some things, but I always assumed that we had more in common than what sets us
apart: that we developed a passion for science because we are curious and
reject bullshit authorities, such as that adult man who dresses like a white
wizard in the Vatican or anyone who thinks that bronze-age people suffering
from sun stroke in the desert somehow have something so profound to say that no
other book is needed. That we believe that reality is intelligible, and that we
can reason and talk about it, and that this can lead to some progress in our
understanding.

But here you are, name-calling those who are curious and refuse to stop asking
the big questions, because the big questions that show cracks in your favorite
word-view make you uncomfortable... Beware of spending too much time fighting
monsters and so on...

>  want to pooh-pooh that because it doesn't talk about how their consciousness
> "feels".

Yes. I don't understand the scare quotes. If you don't talk about how
consciousness "feels" you are not talking about consciousness. You are just
hiding from the big question.

Also, you are accusing of "woo" those who insist on the reality of the only
experience that can be directly verifiable, and remain sceptical of anything
else. If that is "woo", then "woo" is better than what you call "science".

>  But neither does Bruno's . He talks about "arithmetic, seen from the inside"
> as though that was more than a Platonic metaphor.

Well, that's another discussion, and I'm sure Bruno is available to answer your
questions, but even if you are right, it does not refute my point.

Telmo.