On Thu, May 16, 2019 at 4:53 AM Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

> On 14 May 2019, at 00:34, Bruce Kellett <bhkellet...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>  That may well be the case, but I fail to see the relevance of such an
> observation. My consciousness supervenes on my brain as it is now —
>

> With mechanism, and I think with QM, your brain is only a map where you
> can find what realised your computation. You have as much brain (at least)
> than there is electron position available in each orbital. If the quantum
> determines the substitution level, i.e. we would need the precision
> permitted by the Heisenberg Uncertainties, then what I say above would be
> literally true. You have an infinity of “apparent brains” distributed in
> the (sigma_1) arithmetical reality, and your consciousness (direct memories
> + direct anticipation) depends on this.
>
> it does not supervene on other possibilities. If you think it does, then
> prove it!
>

> If you think that some matter or god can select a computation among all
> the one in arithmetic, it is sup to you to explain how that matter can do
> that. Assuming Mechanism: that is impossible.

So don't assume Mechanism! It is then perfectly possible! The "infinity of
computations in arithmetic" are only an illusion after all. I can describe
my brain by using a particular computational model if you like, but then it
is the physical brain that determines which computation might serve to
describe it. No other selection is necessary.

You seem to forget that if mind supervenes on the brain, then that is all
there is to it.

Bruce