On Sunday, January 19, 2020 at 12:18:54 AM UTC-7, Brent wrote:

> On 1/18/2020 10:56 PM, Alan Grayson wrote:
>
> I don't claim anything except that GR has solutions for a cosmos in which
>> space is flat and, in that solution, space is infinite and empirically it
>> appears that space is flat.
>>

> *Measurements don't establish it's flat, as I previously argued. And, as
> you previously stated, the sign of k, the parameter in GR intimately
> associated with curvature, is folded into the initial conditions. But since
> the initial conditions are really unknown, or are speculative, you can
> assume initial conditions which satisfy your bias, in this case FLAT. AG *
>

> No. It's not an assumption.  Empirically the universe appears flat, which
> (assuming the FLRW model)  implies it was always flat.  It is not a
> question of assuming an initial condition, it is inferring the initial
> condition from present measurements of k.
>
> Brent

*If, say, you have a sphere with the diameter of a light year, how far
would its measured curvature deviate from zero? I'm suggesting that the
deviations from zero might be the same as for a flat universe. But I am
still stuck with an spatially infinite start, which most models incorporate
IIUC. AG  *