On Sat, Feb 26, 2022 at 6:13 PM Bruce Kellett <bhkellet...@gmail.com> wrote:

*> What would happen if NATO launched an all-out cruise missile assault on
> Moscow and Petersburg? Not nuclear, purely conventional.*

The short answer is I don't know. Nobody can say for sure what would happen
if NATO launched an all-out cruise missile assault on Moscow and
Petersburg, just as nobody can say for sure what would happen if Russia
launched a all-out cruise missile attack on Manhattan and Chicago, but one
outcome that is not at all unlikely is that it would start World War III
and result in the destruction of civilization and possibly the extinction
of the entire human race. I am not a big enough gambler to want to take
that risk.

*> Putin might respond with a nuclear assault, but that would certainly
> render his empire plans futile.*

It's true that starting World War III would not be in Putin's long-term
best interests, but recent events indicate that Putin may no longer be an
entirely rational actor. And for some dictators bringing about the
extinction of the human race would be less undesirable than being
personally embarrassed, and at this point backing down would be personally
embarrassing for Putin.

*> I think the odds would be in favour of making Putin pause rather than
> escalating further.*

Perhaps so, but what are the odds that what you think is correct? And are
you willing to face the consequences if you are wrong?  Are you so sure
that you're correct that you're willing to bet your life and the life of
everybody you know on it?

0oi