If vacuum energy has some positive value x in the context of general
relativity, and the casimir effect can have a region go below vacuum energy
by more than x, from what I understand it should then qualify as negative
energy in a relativistic context. I once asked about this on an online
physics forum and the response at
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/is-reverse-time-dilation-posssible.98775/page-2#post-821108
suggested that if you consider the vacuum energy to be the same thing as
dark energy in cosmology (as is often suggested by physicists, for example
at https://www.space.com/25238-dark-energy-quantum-vacuum-theory.html ),
then based on the resulting value for the positive energy of the vacuum, a
plate separation of less than about 10^-5 meters in Casimir experiments
would be sufficient to have negative energy in the relativistic sense.

The wikipedia article on wormholes also notes in the section on traversable
wormholes at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wormhole#Traversable_wormholes
that various physicists including Stephen Hawking and Michael Morris/Kip
Thorne (who first published the traversable wormhole solution) have
suggested that Casimir energy might in theory supply the necessary negative
energy to hold open a wormhole, for example they link to the Morris/Thorne
paper at https://authors.library.caltech.edu/9262/1/MORprl88.pdf where they
write on p. 1447 that 'The following model explores the use of the "Casimir
vacuum"12 (a quantum state of the electromagnetic field that violates the
unaveraged weak energy condition11) to support a wormhole'.

But another section of the wormhole article at
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wormhole#Raychaudhuri's_theorem_and_exotic_matter
says that more than just any old kind of negative energy is needed for a
traversable wormhole, that it's required to have a negative energy field
that violates the "averaged null energy condition" and that the Casimir
effect in flat spacetime wouldn't do this, but it goes on to say that
'calculations in semiclassical gravity suggest that quantum effects may be
able to violate this condition in curved spacetime.[44] Although it was
hoped recently that quantum effects could not violate an achronal version
of the averaged null energy condition,[45] violations have nevertheless
been found,[46] so it remains an open possibility that quantum effects
might be used to support a wormhole.'