On Mon, Nov 21, 2022 at 2:52 AM smitra <smi...@zonnet.nl> wrote:

> Probability cannot be a fundamental concept in physics as explained
> here:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfzSE4Hoxbc

I'm afraid Deutsch is a bit too glib in this lecture. He hasn't, despite
his best efforts, removed probability from physics. For example, in quantum
mechanics, he has not explained why, if one measures the z-spin of a
spin-half particle prepared in an eigenstate of x-spin, one gets only one
result -- either z-spin-up or z-spin-down. If one has eliminated
probability, one should be able to explain which result one gets, and why.
It is no solution to say that with many-worlds, that both results are
obtained by disjoint copies of the experimenter. The experimenter is just
one copy, and one would have to explain the result for each individual
separately. Many worlds does not explain why I, for example, see only
z-spin-up and not z-spin-down. To make sense of that, we need a viable
concept of probability and the Born rule.

Bruce