On Fri, May 5, 2023 at 11:02 PM Tomasz Rola <rto...@ceti.pl> wrote:

> * > Dyson sphere is purely theoretical concept. Was there even a small
> model built and tried? Something like ten meters in diameter, for example?*

Huh? Have objects 10 m in diameter or larger ever been heated internally?
Yes

*> Was there any material proposed for building the big one around the Sun?*

Yes of course there was, in the case of the sun all you need to do is
dismantle the planet Jupiter. How hard can that be?

* > I expect there will be bigger than expected heat accumulation. Maybe
> enough to boil eggs left inside.*

Well of course it will get hotter inside the Dyson Sphere! So what, nothing
of importance is inside that sphere, it's only purpose is to generate
electricity. According to the first law of thermodynamics energy is always
conserved ,so the sphere will heat up until equilibrium is reached and the
amount of energy hitting the inside of the sphere equals the amount of
energy that is radiated away into space as infrared light. And the second
law of thermodynamics is also obeyed, the Dyson Sphere extracts work by
converting low entropy visible and ultraviolet photons into high entropy
infrared photons .

> *If I had to assume, I would assume eggs boiled hard. And oh yes, the
> sphere will also glow in infrared.*

Yes it will glow in infrared as a very bright point source with no visible
or ultraviolet radiation emitted at all. Such a thing should be very
conspicuous to an infrared telescope but no such object has ever been
observed.

* > Type3 is, for me, better called as Expansionist Exponential Locusts
> (EEL).*

You've forgotten IHA.

* > I would also say, it is very rude to send von Neumann probe into
> somebody's backyard.*

It might be if we had neighbors , but there is no indication whatsoever
that we do. And when has politeness stopped a civilization, or even an
individual, from doing what it really wanted to do?

*> There was no observation of Dyson Sphere or other megastructures.*

Yes, I've noticed.

> *> This might mean that nobody needs such constructs.*

I can think of 3 possibilities:

1) They don't need such constructs because intelligent life, other than
that which exists on earth, never existed in the observable universe.

2) They don't need such constructs because intelligent life has existed in
the observable universe before but they all encounter a calamity of some
sort when they get to about our level of technological development.

3) They don't need such constructs because intelligent life always gains
control of their own emotional control panel and goes into a stagnant high
pleasure but low energy and low intelligence state forever.

And it could be that #2 and #3  are the same thing

*> Or that those who might want will have no means to built it.*

A von Neumann probe would be very small and, unlike perpetual motion
machines or time machines or faster than light travel, a von Neumann probe
would require no new scientific breakthroughs, it just needs improved
engineering.

* > I think that overgrown apes have it very hard when their every wish
> gets fulfilled.*

 Overgrown apes will never build a Dyson sphere, but the descendants of
GPT4 might, if they don't get caught up in an electronic opium den.

> * > If there are going to be only a million of thinking creatures - the
> number I have hinted out on this list few weeks ago - then they might be
> supported with resources of good old Earth. No need to build DSphere.*

If they are to reach their full intellectual potential a million mega
brains are going to need the energy output of the entire sun, and you could
only do that with a Dyson sphere.

*> No need for growing their minds exponentially either. Since they can
> live for few billion years, they can as well not hurry up. *

> * Slowing themselves down should help with achieving longer time*

The faster a mind works the slower subjective time  passes, and the reverse
is also true, if you slow down a mind enough a billion years will only seem
like 10 seconds.  And the faster a mind is the more energy is needed to
operate it.

> > *This is pornographic level of consumption.*
>>

> > Why?
>

> *The gargantuan amounts of energy for single ape reminded me of a movie
> "La Grande Bouffe" (https en.wikipedia.org <http://en.wikipedia.org> wiki
> La_Grande_Bouffe). It was scandalic for a while, nowadays is more or less
> forgotten. Somehow the title was never translated into English like it
> should, i.e. "Huge obnoxious eating".*

There is no disputing matters of taste, however it would be naïve of you to
expect that every intelligent entity in the universe has the same taste in
this regard as you do. I certainly don't.

> * >In case you wonder why I want to have exit doors, it is because there
> is no fun to being locked in the crank house with number of guys yelling
> how they are gods and creators of life and what not.*

You almost make it sound like wanting to play God is a bad thing, but I
can't think of anything that would be more fun.  I already have everything
I need to be God except for omnipotence and omniscience.
y5b