We used to be allowed to wear loincloths and hunt wild game with
spears. Progress, such as organized farming, and large information
stores on Exchange servers, sometimes has an impact on the way
we do things.  Better put hitching posts in front of the building 
in case anybody wants to tie up their mule; we used to be able
to do that, too. Hitching posts are no longer "needed" and
have been dismissed for being in the way now that automobiles 
and public transit are "better". PSTs are as thing of the past
now that better technology such as large information stores and
OSTs have made them obsolete.  Do they let anyone use WordStar
on CPM because they "used to do it that way"? Maybe some people
still load typewriters with one sheet carbon paper between two
sheets bond paper because they did it that way before computers,
printers, and photocopiers have made previous methods obsolete.

Well, my pen is getting dull, so I'm going to pluck a feather off
an eagle on my way to refill my inkwell.

You have my sympathy in regards to the stubborn politics of PHB's.

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Cook, David A. [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
> Sent: Thursday, January 10, 2002 12:34 PM
> To: Exchange Discussions
> Subject: RE: Slightly OT: PST policies
> 
> 
> I have read all those things about PST=BAD and I have used 
> all of those.
> I gave my suggestion of do not allow any PSTs and I was told that we
> have to allow PSTs. The reasons is the best part of the whole thing,
> "they have always been able to use PSTs so we can't take that 
> away from
> them". Politics is the problem. 
> 
> The more I'm thinking about this the madder it makes me. I've 
> given this
> recommendation before and then this time I was asked to give the
> recommendation again so it could be taking to the powers that 
> be. I give
> my recommendation and I'm told it is not acceptable. I'm pretty much
> being given the recommandation and being told that it is my
> recommendation now justify it. I can't justify the wrong decision.
> 
> So that was my rant that you all could care less about but thank you
> everyone for the input.
> 
> 
> Dave Cook
> Exchange Administrator
> Kutak Rock, LLP
> 402-231-8352
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> 
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Soysal, Serdar [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] 
> Sent: Thursday, January 10, 2002 12:44 PM
> To: Exchange Discussions
> Subject: RE: Slightly OT: PST policies
> 
> 
> Have you gone through the FAQ on why PST=BAD?  If you have an Exchange
> Server and you don't restrict people's mailboxes to a ridiculous size,
> there
> is absolutely no reason for you to use PSTs.  Offline users 
> can work off
> of
> their OSTs.  Why is not possible to get rid of them?  What is their
> argument?  They want to have a safe virus-scanner-free place to store
> their
> games and exes?  They prefer to utilize more disk space?  They want to
> provide job security to low level admins who try to recover corrupt
> PSTs?
> They are comfortable NOT backing up PSTs for users that don't logoff
> from
> Outlook?  What is their rationale?
> 
> S
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Cook, David A. [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] 
> Sent: Thursday, January 10, 2002 1:24 PM
> To: Exchange Discussions
> Subject: Slightly OT: PST policies
> 
> 
> After much complaining about PST usage on our network I have finally
> been
> asked to give my recommendation on PST files. My recommendation of not
> allowing them at all was shot down as not possible. I now turn to you
> guys
> to find out what you do about PST usage. 
> 
> I would like to limit the size of the PST files that we use 
> but the only
> way
> I know of that I can do this is based on quotas on the drives 
> where they
> are
> stored. The only other way to enforce this would be to monitor it and
> yell
> at the people that get large PSTs. 
> 
> I think I'm running into what I have read many times on this 
> list and I
> will
> probably get it wrong. "There is no technological solution to a
> behavioral
> problem"
> 
> Dave Cook
> Exchange Administrator
> Kutak Rock, LLP
> 402-231-8352
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> 
> ######################################################################
> The information contained in this electronic mail transmission
> (including
> any accompanying attachments) is intended solely for its authorized
> recipient(s), and may be confidential and/or legally 
> privileged.  If you are not an intended recipient, or responsible for
> delivering some or all of this transmission to an intended 
> recipient, you have received this transmission in error and are 
> hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from 
> reading, copying,
> printing, distributing or disclosing any of the information 
> contained in
> it.
> In that event, please contact us immediately by telephone 
> (402)346-6000 or by electronic mail at [EMAIL PROTECTED] and
> delete
> the original and all copies of this transmission (including any
> attachments) without reading or saving in any manner.  
> 
> Thank you.
> ######################################################################
> 
> _________________________________________________________________
> List posting FAQ:       http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm
> Archives:               http://www.swynk.com/sitesearch/search.asp
> To unsubscribe:         mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Exchange List admin:    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> 
> 
> _________________________________________________________________
> List posting FAQ:       http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm
> Archives:               http://www.swynk.com/sitesearch/search.asp
> To unsubscribe:         mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Exchange List admin:    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> ######################################################################
> The information contained in this electronic mail transmission
> (including any accompanying attachments) is intended solely for its
> authorized recipient(s), and may be confidential and/or legally 
> privileged.  If you are not an intended recipient, or responsible
> for delivering some or all of this transmission to an intended 
> recipient, you have received this transmission in error and are 
> hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from 
> reading, copying,
> printing, distributing or disclosing any of the information contained
> in it.  In that event, please contact us immediately by telephone 
> (402)346-6000 or by electronic mail at [EMAIL PROTECTED] and
> delete the original and all copies of this transmission (including any
> attachments) without reading or saving in any manner.  
> 
> Thank you.
> ######################################################################
> 
> _________________________________________________________________
> List posting FAQ:       http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm
> Archives:               http://www.swynk.com/sitesearch/search.asp
> To unsubscribe:         mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Exchange List admin:    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> 

_________________________________________________________________
List posting FAQ:       http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm
Archives:               http://www.swynk.com/sitesearch/search.asp
To unsubscribe:         mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Exchange List admin:    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to